• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

J.T. Sontag Swiss watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I usually do not purchase Swiss watches, but I could not pass this one up today. It is boxed and is a complete piece with the case and movement bearing the same number N16109. The watch is a 21 jewel movement and is 18K. The fob piece that looks like a seahorse looks to be gold. People that I talked to today said they would be interested in it for the scrap value. I think the piece is too nice to scrap out.
There is an inscription:
Ambrose L. List
21 (I think this refers to the 21J movement)
May 15, 1875

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Dial

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Movememt

posted
Dust cover

posted
This was too funny

posted
Importer

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Ken,

You're right, it's far too nice to scrap. If it were in some way badly damaged then maybe, but you have the complete package...with a little repair history to boot. Not to mention that it's a fine Swiss grade showing the best workmanship throughout.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
what a beauty Ken !!! Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Very cool!

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
You have a very nice watch. Pritchard does not list J.T. Sontag in her magnum opus on Swiss watchmakers, but I didn't expect to find it listed. My guess is that it is just a brand name used by the importer, J.T. Scott (surely the identical initials confirm that). The watch clearly was made for export to the English-speaking market.

Of course, it was very common for Swiss makers not to sign their watches at all, and for different makers to use a "gray" movement -- an ebauche -- made by someone else.

I have seen watches with similar looking movements from a number of makers, some quite well known). For example, see the movement from an H. Grandjean (an eminent firm) that I own, shown below. It is nearly identical except that your watch has a jeweled center wheel and several gold jewel settings that my watch lacks.

So, we'll probably never know who really made your watch, but it is a fine one.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Nice looking watch and the gold hunting case has jurgensen lips which add to integrity of the case.
I like that tag imagine $1.50 for all that work and of coarse a little extra as long as he did the work before the little extra Big Grin

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I just realized the discount on price on tag for a cash discount no wonder so cheap. Big Grin

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Hi Ken

A very nice (and collectible) combo !

As ethan pointed out the watch was imported to the States by J.T.Scott & Co, New York, 4 Maiden Lane. They were jewelers, importers and traders. They had some trademarks for their watches like ch(as) F Tissot & Sons; La Favre-Brandt; Leader: Triumpf.

The given movement was very 'en vogue' at those times and used by many prominent makers with variation in finish. It stands in a direct line with the earlier keywound round-ended bridge movements and the later Juergensen-style movements with covered winding wheels. The maker of the ebauche could be Audemars.

I like the repair tag esp. the '2 gallons of fine scotsh' part. Either this watchmaker had a very low output or he had some serious problems. Big Grin

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Gerald ,I think the note says 2oz (two ounces),not two gallons Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Ooops !

I was reading it from the watchmakers point of view Big Grin

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009