Internet Horology Club 185
J.T. Sontag Swiss watch

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/9623977877

June 12, 2013, 21:25
Ken Snowden
J.T. Sontag Swiss watch
I usually do not purchase Swiss watches, but I could not pass this one up today. It is boxed and is a complete piece with the case and movement bearing the same number N16109. The watch is a 21 jewel movement and is 18K. The fob piece that looks like a seahorse looks to be gold. People that I talked to today said they would be interested in it for the scrap value. I think the piece is too nice to scrap out.
There is an inscription:
Ambrose L. List
21 (I think this refers to the 21J movement)
May 15, 1875

June 12, 2013, 21:26
Ken Snowden
Dial

June 12, 2013, 21:27
Ken Snowden
Movememt

June 12, 2013, 21:29
Ken Snowden
Dust cover

June 12, 2013, 21:30
Ken Snowden
This was too funny

June 12, 2013, 21:32
Ken Snowden
Importer

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

June 13, 2013, 05:29
William D. White
Ken,

You're right, it's far too nice to scrap. If it were in some way badly damaged then maybe, but you have the complete package...with a little repair history to boot. Not to mention that it's a fine Swiss grade showing the best workmanship throughout.

William
June 13, 2013, 06:10
Tom Brunton
what a beauty Ken !!! Big Grin
June 13, 2013, 09:15
Evan Patton
Very cool!
June 13, 2013, 11:07
Ethan Lipsig
You have a very nice watch. Pritchard does not list J.T. Sontag in her magnum opus on Swiss watchmakers, but I didn't expect to find it listed. My guess is that it is just a brand name used by the importer, J.T. Scott (surely the identical initials confirm that). The watch clearly was made for export to the English-speaking market.

Of course, it was very common for Swiss makers not to sign their watches at all, and for different makers to use a "gray" movement -- an ebauche -- made by someone else.

I have seen watches with similar looking movements from a number of makers, some quite well known). For example, see the movement from an H. Grandjean (an eminent firm) that I own, shown below. It is nearly identical except that your watch has a jeweled center wheel and several gold jewel settings that my watch lacks.

So, we'll probably never know who really made your watch, but it is a fine one.

June 13, 2013, 14:25
Robert V. Jones
Nice looking watch and the gold hunting case has jurgensen lips which add to integrity of the case.
I like that tag imagine $1.50 for all that work and of coarse a little extra as long as he did the work before the little extra Big Grin

tymekeeper005
June 13, 2013, 14:26
Robert V. Jones
I just realized the discount on price on tag for a cash discount no wonder so cheap. Big Grin

tymekeeper005
June 14, 2013, 05:00
Gerald Zimmermann
Hi Ken

A very nice (and collectible) combo !

As ethan pointed out the watch was imported to the States by J.T.Scott & Co, New York, 4 Maiden Lane. They were jewelers, importers and traders. They had some trademarks for their watches like ch(as) F Tissot & Sons; La Favre-Brandt; Leader: Triumpf.

The given movement was very 'en vogue' at those times and used by many prominent makers with variation in finish. It stands in a direct line with the earlier keywound round-ended bridge movements and the later Juergensen-style movements with covered winding wheels. The maker of the ebauche could be Audemars.

I like the repair tag esp. the '2 gallons of fine scotsh' part. Either this watchmaker had a very low output or he had some serious problems. Big Grin

Regards
Gerald
June 15, 2013, 09:31
Tom Brunton
Gerald ,I think the note says 2oz (two ounces),not two gallons Big Grin
June 15, 2013, 10:24
Gerald Zimmermann
Ooops !

I was reading it from the watchmakers point of view Big Grin

Gerald