Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tobias "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Here is a very interesting pair cased Tobias I have been working on, check out the rack and pinion escapament first I have seen.
Also note the 15 gold dots majors at 5 for a 15 second sweep hand.
If I was to have a old watch in my collection this would be the one of my top choices.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
note the stop works on the bottom, the lever presse against the pallet

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

posted
Chris,
this Tobias is certainly a great looking watch and like you said, it would be a wonderful item to own. Big Grin

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
I own a pair cased rack lever by Roskell. An easy way to spot these watches is to look for the sliding screw under the balance wheel. Not all rack levers have the screw, and not all have 15 second second hands. The shape of the end of the lever is another indication of a rack lever.

Jerry Freedman

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Incredible, with a stopworks timer lever and all. Thank you Chris for showing this, it gives us pause to more properly respect and appreciate the efforts of the "pre-machine" watchmaker's skills.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Fabulous watch Chris, Many thanks for posting this.
Just look at the 'In your face' size of those train jewels too! And they'll be hand made too, how long must those have taken to grind and polish.
That's also in addition to the Diamond Endstone on the balance!
What a gem!
Good shot of the barrel, chain and Fusee for anyone that's never seen these before too.

Caution David, you'll have folks starting to collect European gems instead of railroad watches - making less of the really good stuff available for us over here ........ Wink

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Beautiful piece of Horological History! Cool

As Dave pointed out this is "pre-machine" so everything we are seeing here was hand made. The fact this beautiful example exists at all is in and of itself remarkable, but the fact it is complete and original is like allowing all of us to take a trip back in time.

Thanks to Chris for sharing this amazing watch.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
This past weekend I visited Chris and Beverly his lovely wife. I had the great pleasure of getting to see
first hand this magnificent watch along with a few others. Big Grin All I can say although Chris's
pictures are excellent, they don't do justice to these fantastic watches from a by gone era.
If only they could talk what stories they may tell. Wink

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004