Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Verge/fusee lovers step forward! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
Hi Barry and welcome to the site!

Wonderful watch,you are really raising the bar Wink

I will pass it on to a few friends and see what they come up with,seems you are very much on the right track with your research.

I think there are a few verge enthusiasts/experts here who may at the least offer a opinion.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
My contribution to this topic. Can anyone help identify and date this watch?

posted

posted

posted

posted
'

posted
Phil,

There was a David McCutcheon who lived in Downpatrick, Co Down, Ireland. He died at the age of 80, in 1907. He was a Presbyterian and his wife's name was Agnes. I have no idea whether he was a watchmaker, but the name and location could be more than coincidence.

This watch case is Sterling silver hallmarked in London in 1871.

Posts: 746 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: December 25, 2003
posted
Glyn,

Thanks for the information.
I think it could possibly be the same fellow. I am going to do more research on this one.

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
This watch and clockmaker was working about the 1854 to 1894 period. In 1854 he was recorded as working in Belfast. From 1858 he was recorded at English Street, Downpatrick.

Better late then never Phil ? Wink

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
Stephen,

Your answers are always welcome at any time. Thanks for the information.

posted
Hope this isn't too old a thread to post in!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about this watch. from what I have read here it is a fusee, but just who was "John Harrison" if not the famous one?

Antique Pocket Watches, watches, clocks, especially carriage clocks.

Harrison Fusee

Posts: 13 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales in Australia | Registered: December 06, 2005
posted
Hi Steve, never too late to post. Unlikely to be THE John Harrison, as he lived in Barrow, Lincolnshire, and London, where he died.

Tony Mercer, in Chronometer Makers of the World, lists a second John Harrison in Liverpool,in the 1824 to 1852 period, with the note that he was also a watch maker (and some of his watches apparently used a crank roller escapement, which was invented in Liverpool by Massey)

Pics of any case hallmarks might help.

Norman

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
posted
Thanks Norman

No, I didn't think it would be the famous John Harrison! Just had no idea who this person was. Thanks for the information. These are the only visible hallmarks on the case:

Antique Pocket Watches, watches, clocks, especially carriage clocks.

Harrison hallmarks

Posts: 13 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales in Australia | Registered: December 06, 2005