Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Verge/fusee lovers step forward! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
Its time to come out of the woodwork!!I would love to get a conversation going on these watches (as all of you know 'cause I keep trying Big Grin )

So how about some pics and a little history on your watch or your interest in verges???

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Fusee watches were among my first fascinations in watches. I love the ingenuity behind the fusee mechanism itself and am always anxious to look between the plates and maybe find an interesting earlier form of escapement. I also always enjoy the engraving on the back of the movements. My personal favorites are movements from the Liverpool area. They often have the classic "Liverpool windows" and many have a deeper engraving than movements from other areas. This example has a Massey type III lever escapement. [It is not the same John Harrison of "Longitude" fame]. Whenever you see "Patent" or "Detach'd" on the foot of the balance cock that is a clue to look for an early form of lever escapement.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Ooops. I just noticed the emphasis on verges. Here is the movement of a pair cased verge fusee. The hallmark in the case indicates it is from 1834.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is a view of the front of my verge, surrounded by a group of five watchpapers that were in the back of the outer case. Notations on the back of the papers document regular servicing of this watch at a watchmaker in Alloa, Scotland, over a time period from 1890 to 1907. The repairs were for a Mr. A. Mitchell.

posted
Stehpen,

Here are a couple of mine... this one is a Morris Tobias circa 1794

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Movement w/o dust cap

posted
An interesting Skeleton

posted
This is the smallest I have

posted
And the dial side

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I have a few watches from the Federal Period that were sold by American jewelers. They are described at Early American Watches. The Effingham Embree has a particularly interesting dial.

This other verge is a bit later but has a famous name on it. It is the son, not the father.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Well Stephen I couldn't resist your challenge. Here's some pictures of a Silver Pair Case Verge Fusee I have with a Railway Timekeeper dial Big Grin

The watch is English, made by an I. Nesbitt. Both the movement and the case bear his name. The watch is hallmarked London 1811. Guess what, the railways only started to get going in England around 1804/ Confused

Who knows, this possibly may be the oldest Railway/Railroad Watch ever posted on the IHC site. Big Grin

NOTE:- On further research into the dates when railways actually had passengers in England, it appears to be around the 1820's. Therefore I believe the Railway Timekeeper markings on the dial, or for that matter the complete dial may have been added sometime after 1811. I'd like to hear what the IHC railroad pocket watch experts have to say about the early horoligical history of railways/railroads and how this particular watch fits the time period. Roll Eyes

Figure I

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Figure II

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure III

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
These are great guys...I encourage everyone to post...or ask questions about these or other verge & fusee's.

John would enjoy hearing a little more about the skeleton watch?

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
The Skeleton watch is in a display back sterling case. Only one I have ever seen like it. Hallmarked 1774 to go with the dating of the movement..I will get a picture later. It seems the railroad has entered in this thread, so here is a bit of and oddity, not a verge but an 1840's lever..

posted
Dave ..

The railway dial watch...I can see the balance shaft jewel,does it have more? I wonder if the dial is a little later.. an add on of a proud owner in the 1840's?

John..

Where did you pick up that "railway special"?

posted
Stephen,

The "Railway Special" came form a dealer in, I think, Ohio. It was a long time ago and was bought from a "List". That was pre ebay...No Pictures, just sent on "Approval" and if you did not like it send it back for a refund...What A novel idea!!!!!! runs great but not to the 5 seconds a week thing..Did you ever notice that there are not too many
English fusee's from the late 1830's to the mid 1840's???

John Pavlik

posted
Stephen,
here's another view of the Nesbitt movement.

Dave

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Stephen,
here's another nice solid silver pair case verge fusee which I own.
This one is in near mint condition. It's a Scottish ( Big Grin Smile Wink) watch from the early 1800's and made by a man called John Sellar from the small town of Elgin on the east coast of Scotland. As you can see the workmanship is trully magnificent.

Enjoy !!

Figure I

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure II

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure III