• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Private Label Swiss Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A friend sent 4 pictures of a Swiss made Pocket watch.It is a P.L Signed A.B Griswold on both dial and movement.Found some history on Griswold but would like to figure out movement maker.Case is marked 14k.Solid?or GF?Looks to be an American Watch Case Co case?Movement looks well made to me.Don't know what the 3 circles in lid represent.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
Looks like my post isn't going to get any replies.Seems funny every other post gets replies but As usual I get nothing but lookers.[]

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
No Norm I think you just need some bigger pictures.

Not to say I could help but I zoomed to the max on the case and was still unable to make out the markings.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Sorry Norm, I usually do my best but on this size and quality of the pictures I would not recognize an Elgin.
If you could post the movement picture sized like the set of four.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
sorry guys,I'll try again.

posted

posted

posted

posted
Hi Norm

That's much better Smile

A pretty decent swiss movement, 17j swiss lever escapement made close to 1900. The escape wheel jewel looks like a later replace. It is not possible to attribute this movement to a certain maker, too many were using this layout. The movement was finished for the american market. It's a small size, could be a ladies watch.
Case was made by the US American Watch Case Company (New York) and I think it is 14k solid gold. The three circles might have been holes for jewel (diamond?) settings that were removed and the holes covered from the outside.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Thanks a million Gerald.Never thought about the possibility the circles could have been jewel settings.I'll pass the info on my friend in Texas.Info made quite a trip,Texas to Georgia to Germany,back to Georgia and on to Texas.Thanks again.Best regards,Norm

IHC Member 1541
posted
Good call on the case Gerald.

I have recently seen two cases with diamonds installed post manufacture but this is the first with them removed.

U.S. AWCCo. ad from The Jewellers Circular May 1908 showing the logo.

IHC Member 1541
posted
The Canadian AWCCo. 14K logo 2nd down, though somewhat earlier from an 1890 Canadian Trader magazine.

IHC Member 1541
posted
And the only thing I have found that denies connection between AWCCo. Canada and AWCCo. U.S.A.

posted
Hi Lorne,Thanks for the info.You and Gerald are awesome.Here are a couple of things on A.B.Griswold the jeweler who sold the watch.Regards,Norm

posted