Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

European Movement "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Would anyone be able to identify this movement, and have any information about who manufactured it? Thanks

Movement

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Would a photo of the dial help identify this watch?

Dial

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
FB Adams & Sons of 21 St.Johns Square, Clerkenwell, London are listed in the 1861 "Watch Clock and Goldsmiths Trade Directory" as Wholesale Watch Manufacturers.

"Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World Vo1ume 2" by Brian Loomes says that Francis Bryant Adams was born circa 1821 and continued at least until 1875

The style of the dial means this movement was made sometime between 1850 and 1870.

I have seen a few Swiss fakes signed "Adams" but this one looks English. Does it have a fusee ?

Posts: 27 | Location: Warrington, in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
David
Yes its a fusee movement. In my opinion the dates for F. B. Adams are:

Francis Bryant Adams London (Clerkenwell) Apprentice 1792 St Johns Square 1809-11
Son- Francis Bryant Adams Apprentice 1821 Master CC. 1848 1828-75

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
With apologies : Typical of the English 1860's to the 1890's and later as I am sure you know.In your picture it looks like 3/4 plate,1880 or so...likely built by 5 or more people.

On A personal note...A 3/4 plate could kick me in the head I could only base it off of pictures...yours looks like a 3/4 plate..if it is a full plate please show me what i missed and help me learn.(no change in time frame)

A great watch in my mind.Sorry if I am out of line as a beginner.

Did you know Francis Bryant Adams & Sons received an 'Honorable Mention' at the Paris Exhibition of 1855.

Out of curiousness what would make one suspect this of being swiss?It looks very late 19th cen English to me.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
A full-plate watch has all running parts but the balance wheel enclosed between the top and bottom plate (or pillar plate). The balance wheel is visible on top of the plate, supported by a separately attached balance cock or bridge. A 3/4-plate watch has the balance wheel mounted at the same level as the rest of the mechanism. The top plate then usually covers about 3/4 of the works. The gear train, except sometimes the pallet fork, are held between the top and bottom plate. The 3/4-plate layout allows the watch to be thinner. A 1/2-plate watch may have the barrel, center wheel and third wheel under one plate, with the fourth and escape wheels under separate finger bridges.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
Thanks,that is very clear to me now.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
I have a very similiar mvmt. Nicely made and notice that the plates are screwed together, a feature not seen on lessor quality movements...Mine has cap jewel on the escape wheel. Also rather large at 50mm...Same dial.. Wayne your's is missing the regulator??

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
John Pavlik
Yes, the first movement shown is missing the regulator. But here is a second one, that does have the regulator installed. Thanks. All the information I know about the Adams watches was provided by Mr Frank Menez, a Trustee at the Charles River Museum of Industry, and an expert in European watches.

FB Adams

posted
John Pavlik
They are a very nice movement - with lots of modern features. The hairspring holder details are very remarkable.

FBAdams-1

posted
Wayne,

Here is one of my favorites. The detail work on the set-up spring, the regulator, just every detail is finely finished. The 20 size watch is signed Wm Skerry London. Serial #147 and dates to the 1830's..It also has a unique bridge for the lever. It does not pivot in the piller plate...but has it own "hanging bridge", much like and escape wheel does... Makes assembly much easier..

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
John,
Very nice movement. I will have to look up Wm Skerry and see what information there is about him. Thanks for posting the photo.