Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another English pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Here are some pics of my other unknown English pocket watch. Keywind and set, about 18 size, in a silver, snap bezel- swingout style case, back opens by pushing a button in the crown. Can't tell anything about movement as it has what I guess is a dust cover. Winds counter clockwise. Thoughts, opinions or conjectures welcome.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Pic 2

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Pic 3

posted
Pic 4

posted
Gary

You can slide the blued spring clockwise just a bit as the oval opening on the left side allows and unlock the dust-cover. Use the pin in the middle of the spring to move it. No force ! The spring is just a lock that holds the dust cover.

Don't touch the screw! It is holding the balance cock.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Thanks Gerald, here is a movement pic. I see 2 jewels in screw down settings, plus balance jewels. Only marking is serial number.

Gary

posted
The case is hallmarked: Sterling silver, Chester, 1910 'K'.

The movement is obviously later than your other watch. The plates are screwed, it is higher jeweled and i assume it has a 'dummy fusee' that means a going barrel and a reversing wheel so it winds counterclockwise .

Regards
Gerald

posted
Gerald
Thank you for all your help. I am thinking of selling both watches, any idea of value.

Gary

posted
Gary

Validation of watches is not my favorite subject.

If you check the UK market for Victorian silver cased keywound watches (no name and lower quality) you find prices ~$50.

btw. Summertime isn't the best time to sell watches.

Regards
Gerald

posted
I can't talk about American prices, but for the UK market I have to say I think Mr Zimmermann is underestimating. In my experience if you don't mind keeping hold of it for a while and you look at the right buyer, they can go for anything between £50 and £80 ($94 and $125 according to Google). Maybe I only see the overpriced ones, but that's my (very limited compared to most other members) experience. Although I would agree that there is a lull in the market over summer.

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013
posted
Gerald and Joe,
Thanks, I've had these watches for several years, got as part of a lot. Never really looked at them, as my main interest is in American railroad grade watches, and I'm in no rush to sell.

Gary