Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is a "self-contained" repeater? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
A so-described pocket watch is presently being offered in an upcoming "live" eBay auction.

Repeater

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Doesn't make much sense to me either Ethan. I always thought repeaters and for that matter all pocket watches were self contained. Maybe someone else will have the answer.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Ethan

My guess is that the description writer hasn't seen too many pocket watch repeaters and is just referring to the fact that the entire mechanism is inside the watch. Personally I have never seen them any other way.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I questioned the seller. The response was that "this repeater is activated from the crown, when it is pushed down the repeat mainspring is wound and the chiming starts-very sophisticated mechanism."

I personally have not seen this type of mechanism. The 3-4 minute repeaters I presently have have sliding buttons on the side of the watch that, when pushed, wind a spring and then cause the repeat mechanism to do its thing.

I once had an quarter hour repeater that was button operated, powered off the mainspring.

I am aware of "trip repeaters" that are powered off their own pre-wound mainsprings.

"Self-contained" repeaters are new to me, however.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005