Internet Horology Club 185
What is a "self-contained" repeater?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/7781060113

May 17, 2008, 07:24
Ethan Lipsig
What is a "self-contained" repeater?
A so-described pocket watch is presently being offered in an upcoming "live" eBay auction.

Repeater
May 17, 2008, 15:22
Donald Trumble
Doesn't make much sense to me either Ethan. I always thought repeaters and for that matter all pocket watches were self contained. Maybe someone else will have the answer.

Don
May 20, 2008, 20:28
Robert Schussel
Ethan

My guess is that the description writer hasn't seen too many pocket watch repeaters and is just referring to the fact that the entire mechanism is inside the watch. Personally I have never seen them any other way.

Bob
May 21, 2008, 00:19
Ethan Lipsig
I questioned the seller. The response was that "this repeater is activated from the crown, when it is pushed down the repeat mainspring is wound and the chiming starts-very sophisticated mechanism."

I personally have not seen this type of mechanism. The 3-4 minute repeaters I presently have have sliding buttons on the side of the watch that, when pushed, wind a spring and then cause the repeat mechanism to do its thing.

I once had an quarter hour repeater that was button operated, powered off the mainspring.

I am aware of "trip repeaters" that are powered off their own pre-wound mainsprings.

"Self-contained" repeaters are new to me, however.