• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help. Installing the staff ind a verge watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi. I disambled watch for cleaning and want to install again the staff(arbor) in position. How can I do that.

I put the staff with the superior pallet touching the scape(crown) wheel.
Problem is: Brass block have to pieces of metal. The staff must pass into the center of two pieces?
if I hold the watch and see throw it seeing the pinion, fourth wheel,can I see the lower pallet or it is hiden by the brass block.

I expect that you understand me.

Or please show a zoom pic of a staff in position in watch(not running)
Thanks

Manuel

Posts: 31 | Location: Veracruz, México | Registered: April 06, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Manuel, You try to make a very difficult word picture. We can understand your question much better if you will please attach a photograph of the parts you describe?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Juan

I tried to photograph what I think you are asking about, the photos are not real sharp due to the angle of trying to get in close.

This 1st photo is of the balance staff & the verge.

verge

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Now in this photo you will see the staff passing in front of the wheel, the verge is turned towards the wheel so as the balance swings it lets the wheel turn one click.

Basically the verge & the wheel act as a pallet fork & the escape wheel in a more modern watch.

I hope this helps.

verge02

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Yes. My problem is:

I putted the verge(staff) again. But wach don´t turn. If I touch the lower pallet of the staff with a needle, the balance wheel spins and the crown and the fourth wheel. two or three theeths, and then stop.

If I shake watch, the crown and fourth wheel spin quickly, not with the normal movement(tic tac)
Pivots of the staff are good.

Problem can be the hairspring? I looked that and isn´t rust or bad shape.

Wach runs well before disambled the staff. And I only moved the staff from movement.

Manuel

posted
Hi Juan,

I'm always having problems re-setting the escapement on verge's so I THINK I know what the problem might be. It sounds as if the lower pallet is too far out of mesh with the escape wheel (insufficent drop) hence the "skipping' that you describe. This is probably because, when you re-assembled the movement, the escape wheel mightn't have gone back exactly as before.

The 'drop' on the escape wheel is critical and is adjusted by altering the angle of contact with the pallets. In the case of an English verge there is a 'follower' that carries the rear pivot and the pivot hole is drilled slightly off-centre. So, by slightly rotating the follower you can raise or lower the angle of contact with the pallets. Obviously, what you're after is equal contact on both pallets. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the drop should be greater on the lower pallet but equal works fine for me.

The next thing to try is the depth. Ideally the teeth on the escape should be as far into the pallets as possible without fouling the staff. This will give you the best possible amplitude. On the English verge this is done by pushing the follower deeper into its housing. Just make sure you have a bit of endshake left after adjustment.

The Continental verge is much easier to adjust. There are two screws on the rear follower (counter potence) that can be adjusted to change depth and drop.

All this assumes that you didn't remove or alter the position of the lower balance pivot during cleaning. If you did you may be lucky as a previous repairer might have provided scratch marks for re-alignment. If not you are in for an hour or two of not so enjoyable fiddling!

Good luck!

Dick

Posts: 57 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: January 27, 2008
posted
Thannks, but don´t understand.

The follower deeper is the brass part that are
outside the place of the

rear pivot, it´s pivot that holds the crown wheel?) that has a rectangle form?

Thanks

Manuel

posted
Can you explain me again, please Dick.

I must move this piece of brass that I tell.

Manuel

posted
Hi Manuel,

I've just taken a couple of photo's and will try to upload. Bear with me, I've never done this before!

Dick

posted
Here goes Manuel,

This should show a photo of the follower from the front. Twist to change to drop, push or pull to change the depth.

posted
This is a photo from the rear showing the offset pivot. If you need bigger, sharper pics please email me direct and I'll send via email.

posted
Oops!

I forgot to say It's much easier to carry out these adjustments if you unpin the two plates and work on the bottom plate only. You can then see the escape clearly and work much quicker.

First, adjust the length of the hairspring so that the balance is in "beat". That is with the escape wheel pinion lined up midway between the two pallets.

Second, by twisting the follower, adjust the angle of the escape wheel to get equal contact (drop) between the teeth and the two pallets.

Third, gently push or pull the follower in its housing until the escape wheel is as close to the staff as possible without actually touching. Remember to leave a little end float.

Last, I use a piece of pegwood to very gently turn the escape pinion and, if all adjustments are OK, the balance will start to swing. If there are still problems it will be easy to see where the fault lies.

You can then reassemble the plates and all should be well. It's often difficult to get the contrate wheel back in place but just work slowly and carefully. Stop and have a coffee if it gets too much!

posted
Thanks Dick.
I understand very well now.
Please if you can send me the pics to manuelherves@hotmail.com

Problem now is hairpring is broken. And I trying to glue it or make a another hairpring(sounds crazy or impossible but haven´t another option.

Manuel