• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Zenith sidewinder "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi everybody, this is in actual fact my first ever 'post'. After cruising your excellent site for a couple of days or so I must say this is a fantastic meeting point, at first I thought it a little 'American centric' but after reading some of the really excellent and informative posts AND learning that the European Moderator is a fellow countryman, I thought, 'must join', so here I am.

Anyhow, I wonder if anyone could give some tips on how to regulate an early Zenith. It is a little unusual ( with my limited knowledge) in as much as the winder is at the 3 O'cock postion. At first I thought it might be a cockpit clock as it is set in a small bracket on a wooden stand but it has a white enamelled face which I think knocks out the cockpit clock theory but I just love it ( that's why I bought it). Have emailed Zenith giving mvmnt details and am awaiting their response. So, if anyone can help with regulating it I would be very grateful (currently runs at +2 mins / 24 hours). I tried to attach a photo but the file is too big (did say this was my first ever post), but if any needed to 'fill in the gaps' pls advise and I'll take some more and try to attach

Best regards

Terry

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008
posted
1 of 3

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008
posted
2 of 3

TJP

posted
3 of 3

TJP

posted
Terry,

welcome aboard, it's great to have you join us. Big Grin I'll look
forward to seeing more European watches in the future.

I'm originally from Scotland myself and have lived in the U.S. for 40 years.

Best Regards

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Welcome to the 'Club' Terry Big Grin

Thanks for posting photo's of this unusual clock too.
I wouldn't hazard a guess as to whether it was originally created this way, or a later conversion.

Maybe Greg or someone in the Military forum could comment if they've ever seen anything like it.

The movement appears to be originally intended for a 'Hunter' type case, which would have had a catch released by pressing the crown to open the front cover.

The dial appears to be in excellent condition too, and free of stress cracks / hairlines which is nice.
The numerals would have originally been filled with luminescent compound inside the outer frames, and also inside the framework of the 'Cathedral' style hands.

As for regulation, to be honest, I wouldn't mess with this until it's been cleaned at least and the mainspring checked, otherwise you may just be attempting to adjust out the consequences of dry and dirty jewels and a weak mainspring etc.

I have a very similar movement here somewhere, that's an orphan from case 'robbery'.
It'll be interesting to see how close the serial numbers are.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi Dave and John

Thank you for your warm welcome, I think I now understand John's comment about 'all we need now is a Welshman and an Irishman' which I saw somewhere whilst checking out this wonderful 'club'. I am very pleased to be a part of it.

John

Thanks for your thoughts, I'll take your advice and get it cleaned as the first step. With regard to the face, you are right because at night or in low light there is the faintest 'glow' from the numerals (yellowish/green. the hands are skeleton type and I think they are pink gold
The movement No is 2050375 FYI, will let you know what Zenith say in their reply

Meantime my best wishes to you both

Terry

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hello Terry,

A rather nice old Zenith. One way to check if the case is factory or not is to see if the serial number of the case matches the number on the movement.

The swivel case is what I would expect for use in a vehicle, such as an automobile. Although, I have seen other cases -like yours- set up as desk clocks. Your watch/clock does not appear to be military issue, though clearly a high quality item.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1988 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi Greg

Thanks for your thoughts, have checked to case.
No 4971 occurs on the case back and the case itself so I guess case and movement came together at some time later.

Looks like John is right with the hunter theory, would've been some watch I think as it's a full 58mm (approx 2 5/16th inches) diameter excluding crown. Anyhow I just love it and that's the most important thing to me, but very pleased to hear you consider it of good quality. Will get it cleaned and checked as John advises.

My thanks again Gentlemen for the benfit of your knowledge

Best wishes

Terry

TJP