WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Please help, info wanted on a silver pocket watch, H.E.Peck "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi there,

I am new to this forum, and would really like some help. My Mum recently inherited a silver pocket watch from her aunt & we would love to know more about it. I would really appreciate any information that you could give me.

Thank you in advance,

Naomi

Posts: 2 | Location: Hertfordshire in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Naomi

Welcome to our site, nice to have you here.

I am sure some of our European experts will answer up before long.

About the only thing I can tell you is your watch case has the Swiss sterling silver hallmark of a standing bear facing left, this was used between 1882-1935.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I also found where another member asked about a watch sold by the same jeweler as yours, H.E. Peck.

Here is a link to that post.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...1010082/m/5101048133

Tom

posted
Thanks a lot, that is really interesting.

It is a lovely little watch, really pretty, but unfortunately we are all completely ignorant about the subject!

Posts: 2 | Location: Hertfordshire in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2009
posted
Hi Naomi and Welcome to IHC 185,

Your Mum has inherited a typical but Very nice 'Swiss Cylinder' type Ladies fob watch typical of the late 19th and early 20th Century.

H.E.Peck would have been the retailer of the watch, and had the enamel (porcelaine) dial specially fired with his name on it.
Peck would Not have made the watch or case.

I still have quite a collection of these watches, even though I've disposed of many of them.

If you check the other topics in this forum, you will also find one for the decorative dials.
(sorry, can't find the link without going off the page as I'm on dial-up at the moment - takes an age for pages to load.)

A few points about the watch too, it is in beautiful condition and quite unworn, just needs a good clean, and the central cartouche being clear of engraving is a real plus!

The hands are incorrect though and replacements.
Too long on both the hour and minute, and would more likely have had a matched pair of 'Spade and Poker style, rather than the 'Poker and Diamond' as fitted.

There should be a dust cover located around the hands setting square on the centre of the movement - you can see the holes where the screws went!
I could probably help you out with correct hands and a dust cover as I've quite a lot of parts for these.
However you may be quite happy to keep the watch as it was passed on to you!

Tom was spot on with the hallmarks! (Thanks Tom)!
As an aside, Sterling silver is .925 but cases are very often marked .935 which has a tad more silver content.

Enjoy the watch, and Many thanks for posting photo's for us to see.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Pretty watch.

Hi Jhon. I´m still fighting with my verge watch.
Not easy make a hairspring and regulate it.

Manuel

Posts: 31 | Location: Veracruz, México | Registered: April 06, 2008
Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
I am having one of our expert watch repair memebers go over my Peck watch right now. I see them on e-bay on occasion.

Here is what I learned.

Henry Edward Peck was a retailer from about 1890 to 1910. His watches seem to date from 1888 to 1902.

He is listed under Jewellers in 1891 and 1895. Trading at 8 New Bridge Street, E.C. Around 189. He moved to 71 Ludgate Hill E.C. He was still listed at that address in 1902 and 1910.

Henry Peck was born in late 1851 in Thetford, Norfolk to Richard and Eliza Peck. He married Frances Maud in 1881. They had 7 children.

In 1891 they were at 127 Wilberforce road Hornsey. In 1901 he was listed as a watchmaker and jeweler.

Watches are Swiss, so he probably bought the movement and the cases separately and put them together.

I see his watches on occasion on e-bay, so he must have made a number of them. yours is a nice looking dial and movement very different than mine.

Posts: 83 | Location: Central Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: December 26, 2008
Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Movement

Posts: 83 | Location: Central Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: December 26, 2008
Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Back

Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Case

Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Hi All

I have been trying to find more about Mr. Peck. So far, the above is all I have. I know there are members that may be able to find more information on Mr. Peck. I would appreciate knowing more about him if someone has additional information.

One of the great pleasures I have in watch collecting is learning more about the people that are connected to the watch. I would love to think that in a hundred years someone will ask to lear more about my life.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bruce

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Bruce

I will see what I can find but I don't have access to many records outside the US.

Here is a book article I ran across where Mr Peck was involved in a lawsuit, I didn't really read it, just saw his name in it.

http://books.google.com/books?...20watchmaker&f=false

I am like you, I now tend to try to only collect watches with names attached to them.

Tom

Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Thanks Tom.

That was actually interesting to read. A somewhat president setting case.

I would love to bring Mr. Peck back into the 21st century for others to learn about.