• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longines or Omega? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Nice about 6 size private label hunter, A. Ross & Co, Port Arthur, Ont. Nothing under the bridge, but looks Longines to me, but what does the herd think who made the movement?

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
Hi Ernest !

Not a herd but one lonely sheep answering: Smile

I would agree your opinion about Longines as the maker.

The exposed wheels, the trigular hairspring stud with one side rounded, and the 'ram-head' looking twin jewels are typical Longines. The earlier movements were sometimes unmarked on demand by the seller or 'private labeled'. It might be a mark on the dial side of the movement. Has the watch any serial# ?

The only problem ist: I do not know this exact movement in the small 6 size.

I would like to see some more pictures: dial case and one of the escapement/balance part with the watch not running.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Agree with Gerald the ram-head or fish tail looks to be works of
Longines.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I have a private label 6 size like yours. It is from Wheeling West Virginia and belonged to my grandmother.It is a Longines.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Ernest, this is a private label 6s Longines from my collection of watches from old Albany, NY jewelers. Not the same, but some similar characteristics. Is your serial number before or after mine?

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
posted
I vote Longines The extension of the bridge for the 3rd and 4th wheels cinches it, as does the spotted finish.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004