Internet Horology Club 185
Longines or Omega?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/7223917777

March 19, 2013, 17:29
Ernest C. Barnes
Longines or Omega?
Nice about 6 size private label hunter, A. Ross & Co, Port Arthur, Ont. Nothing under the bridge, but looks Longines to me, but what does the herd think who made the movement?

March 20, 2013, 07:21
Gerald Zimmermann
Hi Ernest !

Not a herd but one lonely sheep answering: Smile

I would agree your opinion about Longines as the maker.

The exposed wheels, the trigular hairspring stud with one side rounded, and the 'ram-head' looking twin jewels are typical Longines. The earlier movements were sometimes unmarked on demand by the seller or 'private labeled'. It might be a mark on the dial side of the movement. Has the watch any serial# ?

The only problem ist: I do not know this exact movement in the small 6 size.

I would like to see some more pictures: dial case and one of the escapement/balance part with the watch not running.

Regards
Gerald
March 20, 2013, 11:21
Peter Kaszubski
Agree with Gerald the ram-head or fish tail looks to be works of
Longines.
March 23, 2013, 11:53
Richard M. Jones
I have a private label 6 size like yours. It is from Wheeling West Virginia and belonged to my grandmother.It is a Longines.

Deacon
March 23, 2013, 18:49
Bruce Stewart
Ernest, this is a private label 6s Longines from my collection of watches from old Albany, NY jewelers. Not the same, but some similar characteristics. Is your serial number before or after mine?

June 19, 2013, 21:35
William Thomas
I vote Longines The extension of the bridge for the 3rd and 4th wheels cinches it, as does the spotted finish.