• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Large British pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a large (2.5+ inches in diameter) open face pocket watch, key wound and set, with a “sweep” second hand. The hallmarks indicate that it is sterling silver with a date of 1877. On the movement it says “Geo. & T. Davison, East side of Grey Street, Newcastle-upon Tyne, Makers to the Admiralty.” Can anyone tell me anything about this maker and this type of watch? Thank you.

Posts: 2 | Location: Frederick, Maryland in the USA | Registered: December 30, 2008
posted
A Happy New Year and Welcome to IHC 185 Donald.

Hope you don't mind, but I've moved your topic to the European PW forum where it's less likely to be quickly buried under other topics.

The style of this watch is often referred to as a 'Doctor's watch' because of the sweep seconds hand, which can be stopped by the sliding button on the side of the case.
Rub is though, stopping the seconds on these also stops the watch, because the slider activates a wire pin which then rubs the roller on the balance.

There are quite a few 'Davison's' listed in Loome's watchmakers of the world, but none as late as your watch - but I don't have the latest edition.
Those nearest are as follows:
John Davison - Darlington - 1638
Thomas - North Shields - 1834

All others are dotted around Northamptonshire, the USA and Canada.

Quite possible that 'Geo & T' are descendents of the makers I've listed.

Any chance of some shots of the case marks and the movement?

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Yes, welcome to the club Donald, John in the 21st Century Edition it lists "DAVISON, G&F (or G&J?, or C&T?) Side & Grey Street, Newcastle upon Tyne 1873.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thanks Tom, looks like I'll have to find a way of putting this book on a 'retrospective' Christmas list Big Grin Roll Eyes

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
This forum is great, as you know. I posted on 2 other forums and got zero information, and here I have useful data already. I have attached a photo of the movement. John--an interesting point about the sliding button on the side of the watch--this one doesn't slide, and there is no place for it to slide. Does this imply that it was made to resemble a better quality watch? Thanks again to all for the replies.

Posts: 2 | Location: Frederick, Maryland in the USA | Registered: December 30, 2008
posted
Donald, the button on the band is far bigger than the hole it slides in.
At the back of it will be a small thin tab with a wire attached.
Even with the button moved in its extremes, the hole will not be visible.
Chances are it's either stuck or been jammed.

Looking at the area near the balance rim, there's what looks like a wire, my guess is it's the stop wire actuator, and doesn't look to be fitted properly or connected.
There should be some sort of a crank lever there, but not always clearly visible.

I've enlarged and cropped your photo, and stuck a pointer on it to the wire in question.

Not a problem if it's been jammed out of the way, as long as it can't fall into the escapement and lock up the watch.
Always nicer when bits that are there work though.
It could just be jammed with corrosion and grot if the stop's not been used for half a century or so!

BTW, it's almost certainly an English Lever type escapement.
Look for pointed teeth on the escape wheel, if so it's English, if club toothed on the tips, it will be a Swiss modded job but very unlikely.

Nice watch too by the way, thanks for bringing it to us.

Best regards

John

Stop Wire