Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fusee Pocketwatch Information needed thanks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I got this yesterday, I know the maker as clearly shown. John Hando of Brecon, the case is silver, the watch is not working at the moment, I will endevour to take it out of the case to have a better look later. If some one can give me more information about the type and maker and age. Then i will be happy. Thanks Francis. I was given this watch, nice blessing.

Posts: 375 | Location: Brisbane in Australia | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
movement

posted
While trying to take the movement out of the case I bend the hour hand, not happy with my self at all. How does one take it out of the case???????

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Frances

Nice looking watch.

The movement might be held in by a pin that goes through the case & the flange on the movement. Is there a pin there, I can't tell by your photos. A lot of English cases are made that way.

Loomes lists Hando, John. Brecon (Wales) 1874-c. 1895

I will see if I can find further.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Found a little more.

John Hando was born in Newport, Monmouthshire,Wales about 1855 & died about 1919 in Wales.

He married in 1880 in Breconshire Wales, Elizabeth Eaton.

They had a son Arthur John Hando 1882-1940

John is listed as a watchmaker in the census, I found him in 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901.

Tom

posted
thanks Tom, yes it is a nice watch. but silly me bent the hour hand. A very good lesson learnt here. The dial with up 0-6-12-24-30 what is that about doesn any one know? yes there is a pin holding the watch at the case, once my son goes to sleep I will take it apart i can not see any chain and the hairspring doesnt move. i have another movement to put into it but not sure of all is the same size, tomorrow is another day i guess.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I thought that dial might be a wind indicator but I can't tell for sure from your photos.

What little I know of European watches, I don't believe it is a fusee movement, I do not see a indication of a fusee.

If I was you I would consider having the watch repaired, it looks like a nice watch & if that is a wind indicator I would think a more valuable watch than the run of the mill.

It looks like a compensated balance also.

I don't believe a lot of European watches can be moved from one case to the other, I think a lot of the cases were made just for the watch. Numerous ones have the same case number as serial number on the watch.

Any way that is just my humble non expert opinion. I wish John Woolsey would make it back on to the site to give his opinion.

Tom

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Hi Francis and Tom ; Tom is right on , it is clearly a wind indicator when blown up on my iMac. That is an unusual and quite desirable English movement and the very last thing I would do is put another movement in it. It will be a beauty when it is fixed up,in my opinion Wink Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Hello Tom and Tom, well i have checked out a few things on this little baby. Yes Tom the case is the same Serial number as the movement, I did get the hinge pin out and cleaned the case to see how badly it was under all that grim. The Glass needs to be replaced, the balace cock is completely gone and the two pins are bent.the hairspring has no holding pin,I have a whole tin of those suckers. The case come up very beautiful. Wind Indicator interesting name why did they call them that If u dont mind elaborating for me. I can not get bigger photos up on here tom I can send u some larger ones if u like let me know and I will take some.

posted
why i said it was a fusee was the chain drive off the main spring. I will take a photo of the drive if I can get in a clear shot of it. Francis.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Hi Francis;It involves the dual meanings of the word wind. It can mean the wind is blowing,or don't forget to wind up the alarm clock !!! Eek In the watch ,it indicates how much running time is left on the mainspring. At 30 it means it is fully wound up,and will run for 30 more hours,at 6 it is almost fully unwound. You could at a glance see whether your watch needed winding. As to the chain,if it has one on a tapered pulley,then it is a Fusee Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
(credit to Genealogy.com)

Father to Arthur, grandfather to Sylvia, Marcelle and Barbara was John Hando - (Watchmaker) born 1855, died 1919 husband to Elizabeth Eaton born 1851-died ???? They were married in the year 1880.

One of his clocks is displayed in the Town Hall, Brecon, South Wales.

Both John Hando and Elizabeth were layed to rest in the cemetry at Battle, Nr Brecon, South Wales.

posted
@Tom Brunton, it is driven by chain, most of the experince i have is with normal Pw this is so beautiful such craftmanship.Now just any balance cock can not do I imagine. Do u look around for the same maker and size, I have one simular but very much doubt that it would fit or work. Can miracles happen? we will we. thank u Tom and Tom.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Francis : what is wrong with the balance cock? Can you supply a picture?
We have a fine watchmaker club member Chris Abell
who has done repairs for many members much to their satisfaction,regards,Tom

http://www.Abellwatchmakers.com/

posted
Thanks Tom for that information, I do know about Chris Abell he introduced me to 185. There is NO balance cock at all. Due to circumstances beyond my control I will have to let this baby sit in the draw for some time (injured at work and the insuance company's doctor declared it a personal inury not work related so income this way is very limited baby due very very soon). I have cleaned up the case and it is shining like it was made yesterday. The crystal still needs to be replaced.I see that White Crystals are off the highest quality. That would be my first step once fund become available. thanks Tom. will get photo of the side tomorrow.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Well Francis ,I'm an old age pensioner,dialysis patient in the hospital three days a week,(Mon,Wed,Fri)and recent serious cancer survivor BUT I'M NOT PREGNANT Eek ,THOUGH INCOME IS LIMITED HERE AS WELL Roll Eyes I think you have a pretty nice watch there well worth having fixed!! Have a nice whatever time it is in Oz. It is 4:06 am here and I can't sleep so on computer. I listen to a lot of Aussie music as I'm a great fan of Tommy Emmanuel, Slim Dusty and Eric Bogle.Soon off to try and sleep again, good luck and all the very best to you and the baby,Tom Big Grin

posted
Hmmm Tom U be rich if u were pregnant my friend Smile well it will be a long term project this pw. That is good new to hear that U beat cancer, U seem to be a man of passion awesome. I would have to say this site is one of the best I have come across, i have told others all about it.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Francis; I think we have a problem of word meanings here,differences between the Aussie dialect and the American and Canadian.. We call the balance bridge the "Balance cock" and it is clearly present on the watch!!! Confused I suspected as much the other day and hoped the photos would show the problem Eek We'll get there Francis,with a little time and patience with each other Wink Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Tom

I had wondered the same thing, I look forward to Francis' reply

Tom

posted
Ok tar and feather me gents it is the fork that is missing not the cock. Seem to have the word firmly stuck in my brain the last few days. Cant blame the lingo as I learnt from the Chicago School of Watch Making Series, some could say "learnt wat" lol....ok photos are on there way.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I learned what little I know from the same course,and it's one of the best ever assembled,Francis. I believe my friend Larry Foord (Uncle Larrys Watch Shop tools website) still sells copies of that course. Wink

http://www.execulink.com/~lfoord/index/horology.htm

posted
i dont know if u can clearly see in these photos as I have had to reduce them so much.