Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Your opinions please on this watch. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David Flegel
posted
I bought this a number of years ago and it is probably a complete disaster when it comes to quality. Opinions please I am donning my boy are you wrong on this one bullet proof vest.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 06, 2012
Picture of David Flegel
posted

Picture of David Flegel
posted

Picture of David Flegel
posted

Picture of David Flegel
posted

Picture of David Flegel
posted

posted
Hi David

Nothing wrong with this one (ok one case screw)!

19 lignes IWC 56 movement, lever set, 15 jewels. made ca 1905. (serial# ?)

Case .800 silver marked swiss and german, almost no wear on the red gilded rims. Dial,hands pendant ok no wear on the crown, runs.

Fine watch to wear. Smile

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I haven't a clue as to who made the watch, but it looks to be of reasonable quality and in very good shape.

The case puzzles me, however. There appears to be an ".800" stamp on the inside cover, denoting coin silver, but the case appears yellow in color. The bow appears silver in color. Is the case all yellow except for a silver section on the back and the bow? Is the yellow metal silver-gilt (i.e., vermeil), ygf, or solid gold?

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Beautiful case! I can see why it grabbed your eye. I noticed the stamp and case color as well, and am waiting for someone with a clue to educate me.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
Picture of David Flegel
posted
Never really thought about it, looks as if the back and front fit into the rest of the case the way a crystal would fit into a bezel. The outer colour might be a gold wash.

posted
On the case questions:

The case is 80% silver (coin). It was fashion at this time to accentuate the rims, the bezel and the pendant with red gold electroplating (it was made better than on todays gilted cases, it is probably more like a 15 year plate, but it will wear through).
If those cases are worn, one can polish them to the silver. This one is in very good condition

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Is the watch missing its ratchet?

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
Picture of Francesco Marco Maraschin
posted
A very nice watch.
Gerald, how Could you tell that it is a iwc movement ?

Francesco

Posts: 226 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: November 19, 2012
posted
Francesco

'I know my birds by their feathers' endjoke Smile

There are not so many swiss pocket watches with lever set and my first guess was spot on.

compare: Ranfft

Ethan: The ratchet/click is hidden on this calibre. you can only see a small tooth engaging.

Regards
Gerald