WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with identity of manufacturer - Gallett? #149217 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1369
posted
The movement below is claimed to be by Golay but does not look like any Golay movement that I can find a photo of. I am assuming that it is Swiss or from somewhere else in Europe but it looks US to me.

Anyone know who made this? Thanks.

Golay movement?

Posts: 542 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 10, 2010
IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi: That is a beautiful movement but I do not recognize it. Is it a 18 or 16 sz. And could you include a pic of the Eaton logo on the dial. I am not an expert on them by any stretch but I understand the logo can be different according to the maker. I have had a few but seldom a 18 sz. If I remember they were Tavaness, Omega but I have seen ww with Longines

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi again: I am thinking Gallet & co. . I did a search with Eaton and pulled up a few earlier posts and one looks like yours but is marked Gallet.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1369
posted
Hi John, this one is 18S and 21J. Do you have a link to the Gallett thread?

Just did a search and found a couple of photos that seem to look like this one and are thought to be Gallett. I know nothing about Gallett.

Any additional thoughts about Gallett and this movement? There was a comment that is was made for Waltham, an 1892 movement style?

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi: I dont know much about the Gallet PW movements. Until I saw that reference to Waltham I never knew that (or remembered it). I will have to pull out 92 movement and compare them. It sure looks similar though. I see more of the Gallet ww and chronos and they are highly very popular with military watch collectors. If I see anything more I will get back to you.

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
There is a Gallet Interocean 23 Jewel about 2/3 the way down this thread.

Gallet Interocean 23J

Same movement, one of Ed Parsons watches.

Ralph, when you get it figured out edit the post with the serial number and make so we can find it again.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Ralph: Looks like Lorne was way out front on this one for us. I did pull a 92 out to check. Sure is obvious that the folks at Gallet had one of these in stock!. Enjoy the watch, its a beauty.

IHC Member 1369
posted
Guys, looks like we got it! I will update when I get it in hand. Now if I can just find out more about Gallett.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
looks just lovely Ralph !!! Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1369
posted
So I now have the watch and it is really a beauty! The movement looks great, nice and shiny with only minimal scratches. Starts up right away but I'm guessing it has been quite a while since cleaned. Dial is in great shape as well.

Have not found much info about Gallett but based on the other referenced posts, this must be one. Does anyone know how Gallett would have these movements if they came from Waltham? And if that is so, why would Waltham do this considering that the watch came back to North America as a Canadian private label?

Case is also in great condition but is a recase.

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Ralph: That sure is a beauty. I am sure you will hear from several people re. Gallet -Waltham but I will put in my 2 cents and then listen.

It is my understanding that these watches were not made by Waltham but by Gallet themselves. There is a good writeup about this if you Goggle re, Gallet Watch Co. I think you will find that Mr. Gallet was so inspired by the 1892 Waltham movement that they created one similar. I am sure you will hear more.

IHC Member 1369
posted
Thanks, John, great info, I'll certainly check into that. Appreciate your comment.

posted
Hi Ralph

That's a fine watch in a very good condition.

Gallet was always very innovative in watchmaking. The history of their pocket-watches is almost covered by the better known wristwatches and their famous chronometer watches. They had a strong orientation towards the english and american market.
From all the swiss companies who managed to make and sell RR watches (at least to the Canadian market) the made the most 'american' ones. Sure the design was influenced by Walthams 1892 model but they put a lot of their own watchmaking in and made this Interocean model according to the RR requirements and the american taste. Interocean trademark was registered 1910.
Real fun to see this watch.

If this watch is COAted i would like to see a picture of the dial plate. Another question would be if the lever pinion is screwed ?

Some information on Gallet's history

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009