Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this a Longines? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This "Gladstone" watch is missing the Winged Hourglass on thne balance cock, but looks like a near perfect "reversed" "Private Labelled" Longines L20B. (Extra bridge for the escapement wheel on this chap.)
I need an expert opinion. Please comment

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It looks like the "flip side" of my Longines L20 excepting the Escapment bridging.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I see a few more differences than just that. There is the key guard with 2 screws that the Longines does not have. On the Longines the main spring ratchet wheel breaks out on the side of the bridge casting but on the other it does not. On the Longines there is only 1 main bridge but the other appears to have a seperate one for the 3rd and 4th wheel. Something else must be different to make the space to fit that extra bridge in.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
posted
Hello David,
If you send an email to Museum@longines.com they may be able to help you. They helped me identify a watch in my collection and acyually sent me copies of the original sales ledger information.
Hope this helps.
Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ray Thank You very much, I will do that. Also I am adding another signed Longines with the same type "extra bridge" movement that I have and it is beautiful. I love these watches.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I hesitated to add this earlier because it is a smaller size movement, buit the plate designs are much more like the "Gladstone", than my "Arizona" Longines is which is a L20B.
The signed case is a beauty on this one too.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Another view of the case

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
more

posted
David, Your welcome. I too like these watches and I will scan an old Longines Chronograph that I was lucky to find a long time ago. I will try and get some pics this week.
Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I have 2 18 size private label Longines L20 watches. The open faced one 284214 is marked Aurora Ill and the hunter cased version 261618 is marked Eastern Watch Co. Neither mentions the name Longines but both have the winged hourglass on the balance cock.

posted
David,
Sorry I dont have the pictures yet but my daughter has taken my digital camera to use and I am still waiting to get it back.
Anyway, My watch is a caliber 20H, lugrins patent chronograph with serial # 181,271. It was invoiced on May 28, 1881 to J.E.Robert in New York who were Longines agents in the US. The cost, a whopping 19.70 (US dollars I think). This information was taken from the original Longines record books. The watch is original in it's original silver longines case.
Ray

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
David, This is from my junk box and appears to be an exact mirror of your smaller Longines save the different plate material.