Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help needed. Pocket watch signed H.W.Strange "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
If anybody knows anything about this pocket watch or the maker please share. This pocket watch is 16 size key wind and key set from the back. On the dust cover it is signed "H.W.Strange Elmira NY" Case and movement have a matching serial number. Thank you in advance.

Sham Agayev, CMW

Posts: 164 | Location: Overland Park, Kansas in the USA | Registered: September 15, 2005
posted
How strange. It looks to be a well above average grade Swiss mv't. What I particularly like is that the plate design exposes the majority of each wheel to view. This is not a common attribute. Neat!
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Cooksey Shugart
posted
Sham, May be a movement by Charles E. Jacot of La Chaux de Fonda, Switzerland. He worked in N. Y. around 1840-50, returning to Switzerland, to form Jacot & Slatzman. Nice watch, and made around 1870?
Cooksey

Posts: 62 | Location: Cleveland, Tennessee USA | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Thank you guys. I have not taken the dial off, but will try to do that tomorrow, hopefully it is signed. Dear Cooksey, do you think Dan is right then the Strange could be a jeweler? Thank you again.

Sham Agayev, CMW

Posts: 164 | Location: Overland Park, Kansas in the USA | Registered: September 15, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Cooksey Shugart
posted
Sham, Jewelers use movements in the gray (ebauche) and have thier name on dial, movement and fit it to a case. Case may be gold silver what ever the buyer wants.They did not the make dial, case or movement.
Cooksey

Posts: 62 | Location: Cleveland, Tennessee USA | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Hi Cooksey. Thank you for the info and I will make sure to relay the message. Thank you again.

Sham Agayev, CMW

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I found a HW Strange in Elmira NY however it's kinda new for your watch, and also found him in England, lots of post for there, but I have no access to those. I will check more tonight.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004