Internet Horology Club 185
Help needed. Pocket watch signed H.W.Strange

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/5401061942

April 23, 2007, 23:09
Sham Agayev
Help needed. Pocket watch signed H.W.Strange
If anybody knows anything about this pocket watch or the maker please share. This pocket watch is 16 size key wind and key set from the back. On the dust cover it is signed "H.W.Strange Elmira NY" Case and movement have a matching serial number. Thank you in advance.

Sham Agayev, CMW
April 24, 2007, 01:32
Cort Moore
How strange. It looks to be a well above average grade Swiss mv't. What I particularly like is that the plate design exposes the majority of each wheel to view. This is not a common attribute. Neat!
-Cort
April 24, 2007, 09:28
Cooksey Shugart
Sham, May be a movement by Charles E. Jacot of La Chaux de Fonda, Switzerland. He worked in N. Y. around 1840-50, returning to Switzerland, to form Jacot & Slatzman. Nice watch, and made around 1870?
Cooksey
April 24, 2007, 12:12
Sham Agayev
Thank you guys. I have not taken the dial off, but will try to do that tomorrow, hopefully it is signed. Dear Cooksey, do you think Dan is right then the Strange could be a jeweler? Thank you again.

Sham Agayev, CMW
April 25, 2007, 10:05
Cooksey Shugart
Sham, Jewelers use movements in the gray (ebauche) and have thier name on dial, movement and fit it to a case. Case may be gold silver what ever the buyer wants.They did not the make dial, case or movement.
Cooksey
April 25, 2007, 12:18
Sham Agayev
Hi Cooksey. Thank you for the info and I will make sure to relay the message. Thank you again.

Sham Agayev, CMW
October 16, 2007, 11:38
Sheila Gilbert
I found a HW Strange in Elmira NY however it's kinda new for your watch, and also found him in England, lots of post for there, but I have no access to those. I will check more tonight.

Sheila