Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need help with a Boston Watch Co. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Green
posted
A train watch Boston Watch cie (ie with an underscore _ in. Boston Watch Company started in 1853 and went bankrupt in 1857

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltham_Watch_Company

But it does not have any stamps just inside the back cover is engraved in 1660 and something that I do not know what it is. It weighs 114.3g.
At three locations fine carved into the lines and there are as many lines at all (look at the image with red arrows)

Is it fake.
What age do you think it is and what price

Is grateful for all info PLEASE

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Hi Tom; I'm not the last word on this type of watch but I believe it to be a "Swiss Fake" or private label made up to someone's order. Confused The wording on the regulator would be Fast-Slow or something similar if it was really an American made watch,I firmly believe Wink Following is a link to a catalogue of the watches of the real Boston Watch Company and I see no examples in it like yours Smile Of course that is not to say it's impossible Big Grin

http://www.awco.org/seminar2002/Boston/bostoncat.htm

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Tom Green,

Early watches from the 1850s were big, Key-Wind and Key-Set, this one is not any of that. I would agree with Tom Brunton, this is not even an American watch, not only is it likely a Swiss movement, it is considerably later as well. My guess would be late 1900s or early 20th Century from what I can see. On the movement there will probably be markings under the dial, specifically on the pillar plate that would help identify the maker and help approximate when it was made. I believe this to be a European Watch and we are now rooted in that forum.

The kind of marks you are finding on the edge are usually Roman Numerals for numbering the case, if so there are probably corresponding numbers on front, back and frame. The number "1660" if stamped into the case could be a case number, it is also possible the back is from another case, people do things like that. I would expect the case to be nickel, and there should be some sort of content markings to help establish the facts.

Hope this helps, let's see what others say.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Green
posted
More pictures

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Apparently those "Roman Numeral" markings are consistent on all three case components, that is typical of how case components were marked to keep from mixing them during the manufacturing process. And the "1660" and associated marks you alluded to earlier may turn out to be a watchmaker's servicing mark, they are usually placed there in a form of code to indicate when the watch was serviced and other particulars.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Green
posted
Thanks for all the answers but can anyone tell me what is old? if the movement is new is the case old and the CLOCK-FACE is it fake ?

Thanks

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi again Tom; the watch is all old. It is all original as near as I can tell. It is about 110 years old!! It was NOT made between 1853-1857 by the Boston Watch Company !!!! Eek Rather it was a Swiss watch, designed and named to look and sound American!!! Roll Eyes Generically these are known as "Swiss Fakes",and they tended to be of lower quality construction than the fine swiss watches being made at the same time,but they are old for sure,but designed and made and named to help sell them in America. Wink .

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009