Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

IWC Jones Cal. Model B, Henry Burns "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello all,
I bought this watch off Buster Beck (one of us, and thanks again Buster) and am having it restored to its original condition.
I have two questions that might be answered here, because although it´s an IWC, it was cased in America.
The movement was shipped to the States as was the "normal" thing to do to save on import duties.
My casemaker (goldsmith)/ Watchmaker has taken the case apart and sends me the questions, was the bow originally fastened by the splint (that was in there), or as he suggests, with a screw, as the first picture shows, and what type of crystal would have been used originally on the watch?

Here are a few pictures of the work that is being done, the case has been sent away for a subtle restoration, as has the bridge, where the case screw was so violently molested, leaving deep indentures on the bridge. There will be more pictures to follow, as the restoration gradually advances.

Best Regards

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Hello Werner,

The pin was used to hold the pusher in place and the bow held the pin centered within the pendant. The bow itself was held in place via the conical ends. Swiss cases of this era used a screw whereas American cases generally did not.

The original crystal would have been a thin hunting glass.

Nice watch.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Thank you for the information William, I´m much obliged to you. There is a book that has been written by Alan Myres, who lives in Ireland, about these IWC Jones Caliber watches. The book will hit the market in January and it is being published by IWC themselves. Although the contact to Alan Myers was very late and his book was really finished, he asked me if he could use some of my photos. He flew to Switzerland to change the outlay somewhat to get my watch in. Apparantly it´s the oldest IWC Jones Caliber, Model B on record!!!

Thanks again William.

Best Regards

Werner

IHC Life Member
posted
Werner,

That's a book I would like to own, please let me know the title and where it will be available. That's really a beautiful little watch.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
William,
I´ll let you know all the details as soon as IWC Schaffhausen or Alan Myers gives me the permission to do so.
I don´t know why, but up till now everything has been hushed up, or at least not been shouted from the rooftops, and yet everone that collects IWC Pocketwatches know about the book!
Maybe it´s the suspence that makes the book interesting to a collector!

Regards

Werner

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
quote:
Although the contact to Alan Myers was very late and his book was really finished, he asked me if he could use some of my photos. He flew to Switzerland to change the outlay somewhat to get my watch in. Apparantly it´s the oldest IWC Jones Caliber, Model B on record!!!

Being said, perhaps mo money should be sent to "yours truly" Big Grin That is if you are feeling generous today Wink

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
I´ll see if there are any more coppers in the trunk after paying the bill to restore the watch! Wink

Here´s the outcome of the subtle restoration,
I´ll make a few more detailed pictures if so wished!

My watch is back together again and running very well. I´m quite pleased with the outcome of the "sympathetic" restoration.
What I like most is the mistake the lady made when she was painting the numbers on the subdial, on postage stamps that could mean a small fortune but alas this is horology and not philately :-)

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Fabulous job on the restoration !!

That subseconds dial should really set it off and make it truly a unique item !!

Thanks for showing the finished product !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Werner,

Thanks for the great pictures, I have chased a jones caliber for three years, I am yet to get one at the right price. Your little beauty has given me renewed vigor in this quest.

All The Best,
Bila

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
quote:
William D. White
IHC Life Member

posted October 28, 2011 18:46
Werner,

That's a book I would like to own, please let me know the title and where it will be available. That's really a beautiful little watch.

William

Well, it took longer than expected, I received my copy a few weeks ago and the Book has been published...
Here for a quick preview... IWC Jones Cal Book

To be had here: Where to order

Best Regards

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I recently bought a beautiful 8-size hunter in a great 14k true box hinge Jeannot & Shiebler case. The seller, who is a distinguished member of Chapter 185 and very knowledgeable, told me that the movement might have been made by or finished by or for IWC, and possibly even was a Jones Model B. I did not buy the watch for that reason. I bought principally because I loved the case. When I bought it, I was pretty sure the movement actually was by Agassiz. But the seller tells me he consulted with a very expert collector, so there possibly is an IWC connection. I check the IWC serial number database. My watch is not a 19 ligne Elgin II Pallweber that it should be according to the database. I still think it's an unsigned Agassiz. What do you IWC experts think?

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005