Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A TREASURE from my "little bird on the wall"! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A few weeks ago after a hectic day listing some watches, I perused eBay listings and found this;
"Edwin Flinn silver pocket watch in hunter case"

AT;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...geName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A "LITTLE BIRD ON THE WALL" TOLD ME TO BID IT.

Somehow, after 11 other bidders bid it "up" to a point still under my bid, it came here for under half a hundred.

I carefully inspected it and found . . . A NEW WATCH!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
When Opened, several discoveries came to light . . .
Perfect Fusee setup with added internal constant tension shortwind system for constant train drive torque. i.e. A chronometer grade motor system.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A totally tarnish and crud-free Movement
(After Cleaning!)

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A fine Case properly Hallmarked (1882?)

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Wrapped around a totally exquisite "Edwin Flinn, Allesley Rd., London" Fusee of the highest grade I have had the pleasure to restore. (Oh yes, I put in a new high dome crystal too!)

posted
Beautiful piece, David - must be quite a thrill to haul that out of your pocket every few minutes to check the time. Smile

I'm guessing somewhere around 1850?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Lovely watch David.I went to $175 at our local auction Thursday night and got outbid on an extreme high quality fusee with no name,just a # but everything about it was quality. I did get a gorgeous quality Gubelin 8 day clock with alarm, running just beautifully, needs only a clean and oil.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Another great find and beautiful restoration, Dave....

Is that 78' Morgan part of your deal or did you add the chain and fob...?

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I got a 50's style Orangy-Pink naugahyde "junky lookin" Jewelry box at a yard sale for ten bucks. The people were "cleaning out gramma's attic" and I saw a Waltham 83 on top of the pile . . . the Morgan swam outa the junk later when I got it home. So when this watch showed up, I thought it was about the same age so . . .

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Don't know what you paid for the 'Orangy-Pink' Jewelry Box but that Morgan is worth at the very least an Andrew/Abraham combo....If you know what I mean.... Big Grin

Some folks just fall in it, others have to work at it.... Wink

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008