Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Identification Help !! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Here is a movement I found in some stuff I picked up and was wondering if anyone recognized the maker. Also why would it have two mainsprings am I missing something it looks to have a large center seconds hand and it does not appear to be a chronograph. It does have the stop lever on the side for stopping the forth wheel. Measures 45mm across. The second winding barrel looks larger like it might be an alarm but I see no other sign of an alarm. Any ideas Roll Eyes

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Huguenin made some watches with a second train that operated a sweep second hand. It was not connected to the main time keeping part of the watch which had it's own spring and train but was activated by it. The sweep second hand could be turned on or off. Since it had its own spring it did not upset timekeeping when you activated it.
I am not sure what it could be used for as it had no reset on it. Just on and off. Could this be another version of this arrangement from another maker?

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Now THAT is interesting!

I thought of a combination watch/timer, but with no reset?????

Again, interesting!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Thanks for info maybe like the older style doctors watch so one could check pulse. Looking at the movement it is hard to tell but I did not see what I thought was a seperate train. But then again I am no expert Razz

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
The reason I was wondering about this one is, I wondered it it was anything like something I found that's called a pulsograph, used in the early days to check the pulse. Made by E Heuer and you can see it here, but I didn't look at it very carefully.

Kinda Similar????

http://cgi.ebay.com/HEUER-Rose-Watch-Co-Doctors-Pulsogr...Z31387QQcmdZViewItem

Sheila

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Hello Rob,
Just noticed this movement appears to have a few bits similar to one I have. https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/5231093942 Won't help much cause I don't know who made mine either. Mine doesn't have the extra train but there are a number of details that look very similar.

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
This was more the sort of thing I had in mind. Yours is a different make but perhaps along similar lines. 2 Train

posted
WOW now I see what you mean, really different, I have no idea what I had in my head at the time!

Really different huh?

Sheila

posted
Another very interesting watch Rob, no idea where you keep on finding these gems! Big Grin

I recon Stephan has nailed the function of the double barrel arrangement, but I'd like to toss some further thoughts into the pot to ruminate on!

As far as I can recall, some pocket watch movements I've seen with a sweep seconds feature have had extra bridges on top of the main train to accommodate the extra wheel and it's pinion - which generally makes for quite a deep movement.

Your example appears to be quite slim, hence the need for the extra barrel and train wheels.

Because the train wheels are smaller, the torque transmitted from the mainspring and barrel through those wheels will be smaller, and one mainspring and barrel that size simply would not have enough grunt to move all that metal.

Splitting the trains and placing a second mainspring barrel in there to drive the sweep seconds feature would remove a significant amount of load from the main train barrel, enabling the size to be kept sensible.
A smaller barrel for the sweep seconds would be quite adequate, because there is less train to move.

I suppose if the smaller barrel wasn't re-wound occasionally, it would just mean a stationary sweep seconds hand.

I don't know if anyone has noticed it, but your watch movement is also fitted with Breguet's parachute shock protection system, and and the early form of temperature compensation described by Jerry Treiman on Stephan's watch!

Nice one!

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/5231093942

Keep 'em coming Rob ........

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006