Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch papers "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Inside an old English paircase watch I have three watchmakers' papers.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
I was never too sure of the hallmark date letter. It is definitely a "P".

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
And I think the case maker's initials are "CT".

posted
The watch is about two-and-a-quarter inches in diameter.

posted
The maker's name is "F. Jackson."

posted
Bsillie'd list of watch and clock makers lists a number of Jacksons in London, but no F. Jackson.

posted
What I am even more curious about are the three watch papers that are inside the outer case. They all read "Uhrmager".

posted
This one is hardest to read.

posted
I've always assumed that these were German watch makers, but might have been Swedish, Danish...? Can anyone help identify these people for me?

Steve G.

IHC Member 456
posted
Hi Steve, I believe it's Danish. In German it's Uhrmacher. The Google translate page from English-Danish shows urmager which might be a current spelling but doing a google search on uhrmager shows most results from .dk domains which is Denmark. I don't know how to identify the watchmakers.
Mike

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
posted
Thanks, Mike. That is a good start!

Steve

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Steve, my guess on the movement maker is L. or J. Jackson, to my eyes anyway....

Looks as though the watch was made and cased in London but the papers with it do not make any sense to me....

Someone more knowledgeable than I will need to answer that....

Good Luck

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Steve

christiansund + uhrmager = Norway

I'll check the hallmarks for dating

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Maybe John will answer up here soon.

I looked in Loomes 21st cent ed. but also could not find a F. Jackson in London.

Jerry
The case papers were like the watch repair person scratching their initials in the case back plus they were goo advertising. It isn't unusual to get case papers from different areas, I have a watch made in London but owned by someone in the US & it has case papers from where he lived.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I think your case marks are Silver 925, London 1810

Tom

posted
Tom won the race (and of course he is right)

Gerald

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Gerald

You are better at those than me, I was hoping you would prove me right but I had my doubts. Thanks for the confirmation.

Tom

posted
Watch papers

found one of them in an uncomplete address list tax -list 1900:

Solem P. uhmager Kristiansund

I know the paper reads P.Soleim this seems to be the german origin name Solheim.
one of the combinations Kristiansund Christiansund (Bergen that's near) Solem, Soleim, Solheim and uhrmager may work but it should be done by some Norwegian. one other name could be H. Hansen same region and earlier.

Regards Gerald

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hey Gerald

See your member number, welcome aboard, I look forward to all the help you are going to give us.

Tom

posted
Thanks everyone! I've been wondering about this little mystery for years!

Steve G.

posted
Tom:
Thanks ! I'll do my best. Happy huntings ! Feel free to contact me.

Steve:
Watch; nice looking, handmade and -crafted, age 200, born in London, lived in Norway for a long time, serviced often now on retirement in Illinois USA.
What will a 'Swatch' tell them in 2310 ?

Regards Gerald

posted
Yes, if only they could talk; but then, in many ways they do speak to us, don't they?