Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need help identify/value "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
Here is a watch I bought when I was first aquiring. It is interesting and I thought I might sell it either here or ebay. When I took the movement out of the case I noticed the "brand" on the movement. Now, I know this isn't a $20,000 Breguet! What I'd like to know is what it is. The case is Sterling marked, and the watch runs.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
The full image

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Movement

IHC Member 1016
posted
More markings

IHC Member 1016
posted
Some other marking

IHC Member 1016
posted
Still more

IHC Member 1016
posted
The case is hallmarked. Any ideas as to what this is and if there is real interest on this forum?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
So far I think the silver hallmark on the case is Swiss from 1882-1934.

Also found where;
S.G.D.G. Sans garantie du Gouvernement is a disclaimer required by the government of France stating that it does not guarantee enforcement of the claimed patent

Also the word Brevete is French for Patent.

Now all of this is from a guy in the southwest who can only speak English so I could be full of hot air.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Mike

Your watch is a swiss made dating about 1900 with 'exposed balance'

Breveté S.G.D.G. means swiss patent (patent writen in french not patented in France = from the french speaking part of switzerland)

The patent #16598 was taken by Ernest Degoumois St-Imier on mai 4th 1898,he had also the 'bonheur' label protected.
The headline was 'watch with less height with visible balance' (translated)
The patent was signed by A. Mathey Doret (Chaux de Fonds) wich I think was the maker.
Your watch is the 7j model ( a 15j version also exits). Unfourtunately those nice watches do not sell high. I found one sold for $100.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Gerald and Tom, Good information. I don't know if there is sufficient interest to sell it here. It is a nice watch.

posted
Mike,

The watch appears to be based around the 'Hebdomas' types, which also have visible escapements.
Have you checked to see how long it will run on a full winding?

The Hebdomas watches I would say most folks are familiar with, have the lower half of the dial shaped so as to reveal the balance and a highly decorated bridge, plus some of the lever arrangement too.
Check out the 'Hebdomas' topic in this forum for some examples!

The major plus with Hebdomas types, (also quite a departure for Swiss offerings), is that everything is interchangeable - and that goes for the 'Non Patent' types which masquerade as the real deal.

You've got some good information here and I can't add a lot to it except the following.

The script 'Avance - Retard' on the dial either side of the regulator index, suggests the watch was made for French speaking nations and not a general export model.
The grade of silver used at .875, is also slightly higher than mainstream Swiss offerings, which are generally 0.800, anything above either is generally found on Sterling silver imported goods and of 0.925 or 0.935 grade.
The marks on your watch refer to a period after 1880, so Gerald's dating of it is probably about right.

The statement 'Ancre Ligne Droite Interchangeable'
translates (generally) to: 'Anchor Escapement, with Interchangeable Straight Line Lever'

The fact that this information has been engraved on the movement, would suggest it was being used as a marketting ploy, and manufactured in the era when sidelever escapements (and cylinder types) were being superceded by the 'straight line' lever, which are more compact and facilitate the manufacture of much thinner movements.

To make a point of it alludes to the watch being better than that of a competitor not having one!
Sort of 'Horological Snob value' Roll Eyes Big Grin

With a few exceptions, pretty much all the lever ecapements you will come across today in both Swiss and American watches will have straight line lever escapements.

These type watches do well this side of the pond, not sure how you will fare with a sale in the USA.
The last Hebdomas I sold went for £120 Sterling, but it was a traditional Hebdomas type.!

Your watch looks to be a Very nice example, hope you do well with it!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006