Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help identifying kw watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,
Need some help to identify this watch, and the silver marks, to date it.
Thanks,
Bill

dial

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
movement

posted
silver marks

posted
possibly a makers mark on movement
Thanks for any and all assistance.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
So far I have found that the bird (grouse) is a Swiss mark, I will keep looking for your other marks.

Also is that a symbol under the 0.800 stamp, I can't tell in the photo, the Swiss used a date code similar to GB, usually a letter & number.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Tom,
It is definitely a mark, but I can't make it out even with my 10X loupe, it looks more like a figure of something rather than numbers and letters.
Thanks for the help,
Bill

posted
I have found that the grouse which is a swiss mark, thanks to Tom, and I see the moon and crown which is a german mark. I found that that usually implies a swiss maker, and the watch was sold in Germany. I still do not know what the BP is, likely the silversmith, Looks like around the turn of the century "1900"s.
Any help with BP would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

posted
Bill, haven't had time to check yet, but there were 2x different styles for that hallmark, and think yours is the earlier, used around 1880's, which would fit the key wind/set arrangement.

Don't think it would be much earlier, as the dial feet are held by knife edge screws rather than the earlier taper pins.
By the 1900's pin set watches were becoming more common.

If you try this link, it'll take you to a site Andrea found covering Swiss hallmarks and casemaker's marks, certainly sorted one of my watches out!

http://poincon.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Thanks John,
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
I had thought it might also be the earlier grouse mark, but wasn't sure.
Also it states on the dust cover "Cylindre 4 rubies 78695 metal.
On the case back it has the hallmarks you see and the same number 78695. As I said to Tom the little mark under .800 is a mark of some kind, just can't make it out with my loupe.
There is also a mark of some sort by the bridge in the movement, but again I can't make it out. I think that for sure is a makers mark as there is what appears to be some lettering there also.
Thanks again for the info,
Bill