Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen Wadsworth Case Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I have a 17 j 5adj Gruen Verithin in a "14K Gold Reinforced with Metal" Wadsworth case. Is this a fancy notation for Gold Filled?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thats exactly right Mike,

Let's examine some of the more interesting case content descriptions!

During the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century some case makers went out of their way to come up with inventive descriptions that creatively describe case content, but there's one word they will practically never use. They'll rarely if ever state what the major ingredient in Gold-Filled cases really is... BRASS!

By the way I recall thinking "Gold-Filled" meant the case was "fully-gold" when I first started collecting. Roll Eyes It didn't take long for me to discover that fatal error! I believe the "Complete Guide to Watches" is the very first reference to acquire and at the same time also learn to use the "Find-Or-Search" on our site! Wink

In the jewelry trade anything but gold, silver or platinum was just considered metal, but of course "metal" sounds strong so on your example they say the case is reinforced with metal. It's true, but it also effectively avoids explaining gold content. It would be many years until they finally had to state what the case really was. By the early 1920s more descriptive terms such as "10K Gold-Filled" or "10K Gold Plate" replaced the previous guarantees of wear and other dubious statements such as on your case and the one you see below.

Here is one of the more creative content descriptions...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi, Lindell is right about the general classification of all the gold filled cases. However, I do think there is some merit to Gruen's claim to 'reinforced gold' or 'reinforced with extra gold' unseen by other makers. The following is a diagram taken from Gruen's guild catalog:

Posts: 19 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area USA | Registered: October 30, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Lin and Ben. It seems there is a lot to the marking on a case. I want to sell this Gruen, but wasn't sure how to advertise it.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007