WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The other reason I got interested in mechanical watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
The second watch she inherited was a Patek Philippe pocket watch.

It's 23 jewels, PW/PS, open face. The dial has a seconds chapter at the 6 o'clock position and there is a second second chapter around the outside of the dial and two sweep second hands. All the hands except the 2nd hand look like they are made of gold. The dial is signed Spaulding & Co. Chicago.

The back of the watch is engraved with the initials AEB. Inside the top cover there is a 0.750 mark to show it's solid 18K gold. The couvette is engraved around the edge. At the top is:

Spaulding and Co Chicago

At the bottom:
Nov. 17th No. 90040 1903

The movement is marked:

Patek, Philippe & Cie.
Geneva
Swiss
Spaulding & Co.
Chicago

It also shows the serial number 90040 which my book says is 1895-1900.

This is the case back:

Posts: 26 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona in the USA | Registered: April 20, 2010
posted
The couvette...

posted
The dial...

posted
The movement, one of two pictures...

posted
A closer view of the movement.

posted
If I try to wind the pendant, the watch will run. The spring won't wind, but the movement runs.

Any info as to exactly what this would be called or any other info is appreciated.

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Tim,
Very interesting split seconds chronograph. Perhaps the mainspring is already fully wound? Does the watch run on its own or will it only run when you turn the pendant?
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Only when turn the pendant. Your comment made me think and I went to see if I could see the winding mechanism. Unfortunately, it's hidden under the top plate. I don't see any way to let the mainspring down.

I've been told that the best way to have this fixed is to send it to Patek, Philippe. Has anyone ever sent a watch to them?

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Tim,
You may want to contact Chris Abell first. He's listed here in the IHC185™ Members Business Directory. Here's an interesing topic and you can click on his link and go right to his website. Size 12 Tiffany needs balance
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
so far a Rolls Royce and a Bentley, what is to come next??
WOW

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
The other watch from dad-in-law was a pretty pedestrian Columbus Watch Co. SN 90480 it's HC SW/LS NI GJS. I think it's a 15j, but I only count 13 so far. I'll post a picture in another place. There are no family engravings on this one, but it is in great shape according to the local guy I took it to.

After getting these three watches I've collected a few others but they are pretty much all American; Hamilton, Howard, Elgin, Hampden, and Illinois.

The two Swiss watches are pretty overwhelming with their complexity and value. Not watches I should be experimenting with!

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Tim - those are absolutely gorgeous watches that your wife inherited! They are to be treasured, not just for their beauty and complexity, but because of the family history. Most definitely not your every day carry watch!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008