• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fusee Movement Puzzle? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I know very little about the older watch mechanisms but I am puzzled by the number of movements that are sold on eBay and the high prices of some of them. I always thought that most older watches were made by hand and fitted to a specific case. If there are no standards in case size, how are buyers casing these movements? Are they just interested in the movement for the mechanism and variety alone?...........Keith

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Well Keith, having a bit of machining skills, I make my own cases for some of my fusee movements.
Finding a proper case turned out to be a futile effort, so starting with 2-1/4 brass round stock and about 20 hours labor, a new case is born...This J.J. Bigelow English fusee was my second attempt, I have made a case for a nice 19jwl. Philadelphia Watch Co. movement...
Harold

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Here is the backside...

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Boy Harold, I envy guys like you. Beautiful work,but what do the rest of the buyers of these old movements do with them?..............Keith

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
posted
Very nice case Harold, and great to see these old movements being 'cased up' and used again.

Do you use a form tool for the band and curves on the back and bezel, or is it 'freehand' work?

I know exactly what you mean by 'futile' when trying to find cases for these!
I have maybe 100 or so of them that are 'Bullion' orphans, and even though I've maybe 50+ empty silver cases, I've not been able to marry up a single one!

Think I may have to follow your example when my garage extension is finished, can't even get to my lathes right now let alone use them!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Harold: Since I see no case screws, do you make the movement swing out from the front?

Jerry Freedman

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002