Internet Horology Club 185
Fusee Movement Puzzle?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/28610456

April 13, 2009, 09:40
C. Keith Johnson
Fusee Movement Puzzle?
I know very little about the older watch mechanisms but I am puzzled by the number of movements that are sold on eBay and the high prices of some of them. I always thought that most older watches were made by hand and fitted to a specific case. If there are no standards in case size, how are buyers casing these movements? Are they just interested in the movement for the mechanism and variety alone?...........Keith
April 13, 2009, 13:38
Harold Visser
Well Keith, having a bit of machining skills, I make my own cases for some of my fusee movements.
Finding a proper case turned out to be a futile effort, so starting with 2-1/4 brass round stock and about 20 hours labor, a new case is born...This J.J. Bigelow English fusee was my second attempt, I have made a case for a nice 19jwl. Philadelphia Watch Co. movement...
Harold

April 13, 2009, 13:38
Harold Visser
Here is the backside...

April 13, 2009, 14:34
C. Keith Johnson
Boy Harold, I envy guys like you. Beautiful work,but what do the rest of the buyers of these old movements do with them?..............Keith
July 19, 2009, 10:26
John Woolsey
Very nice case Harold, and great to see these old movements being 'cased up' and used again.

Do you use a form tool for the band and curves on the back and bezel, or is it 'freehand' work?

I know exactly what you mean by 'futile' when trying to find cases for these!
I have maybe 100 or so of them that are 'Bullion' orphans, and even though I've maybe 50+ empty silver cases, I've not been able to marry up a single one!

Think I may have to follow your example when my garage extension is finished, can't even get to my lathes right now let alone use them!

Best regards

John
July 19, 2009, 13:56
Jerry Freedman
Harold: Since I see no case screws, do you make the movement swing out from the front?

Jerry Freedman