• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Who's Logo Is It? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently picked up an old Continental 18s watch. I have searched for info on ContinentalWatch Co. but nothing has turned up. There is a logo stamped on the movement that consists of a stylized "Y" over a stylized "O" with a smaller "C" around the base of the Y. There is a also a "&" between the arms of the Y.
Has anyone seen such a logo?

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
Here is the movement. It appears to be a 7j swiss made movement. I found it interesting as it has the balance assembly set low. I suppose this would be a 3/4 plate movement.

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
There used to be an Oy Company that sold American watches as well as imported Swiss movements. Perhaps this was their logo?

[Some pages from the 1903 Oy catalog are shown on Wayne Schlitt's Elgin website HERE, but the "Continental Watch Co" is not listed at that time]

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Thanks Jerry,

I think you have pegged it. I went to Wayne's site and found a Continental sweep seconds chronograph on page 71 of the Oy catalog.
My dial is marked C.W.C. and the Oy one is marked "Continental W. Co. but I feel sure they are one and the same.

Thanks much for the info. I had basically the same question on the "Green Board" for over two days with no reply so I guess I will know where look for information in the future. Smile

Joe

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
"Continental" was a brand name used by Gallet & Cie on watches imported to the US by its US distributor Jules Racine. Attached is a photo of a similar movement I once owned. That watch was an 8 size hunter with a fancy 14k case.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005