Internet Horology Club 185
Who's Logo Is It?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/2481078542

April 10, 2007, 10:57
Joseph T. Collins
Who's Logo Is It?
I recently picked up an old Continental 18s watch. I have searched for info on ContinentalWatch Co. but nothing has turned up. There is a logo stamped on the movement that consists of a stylized "Y" over a stylized "O" with a smaller "C" around the base of the Y. There is a also a "&" between the arms of the Y.
Has anyone seen such a logo?

Joe

April 10, 2007, 11:07
Joseph T. Collins
Here is the movement. It appears to be a 7j swiss made movement. I found it interesting as it has the balance assembly set low. I suppose this would be a 3/4 plate movement.

April 10, 2007, 14:54
Jerry Treiman
There used to be an Oy Company that sold American watches as well as imported Swiss movements. Perhaps this was their logo?

[Some pages from the 1903 Oy catalog are shown on Wayne Schlitt's Elgin website HERE, but the "Continental Watch Co" is not listed at that time]
April 10, 2007, 17:46
Joseph T. Collins
Thanks Jerry,

I think you have pegged it. I went to Wayne's site and found a Continental sweep seconds chronograph on page 71 of the Oy catalog.
My dial is marked C.W.C. and the Oy one is marked "Continental W. Co. but I feel sure they are one and the same.

Thanks much for the info. I had basically the same question on the "Green Board" for over two days with no reply so I guess I will know where look for information in the future. Smile

Joe
April 11, 2007, 05:40
Ethan Lipsig
"Continental" was a brand name used by Gallet & Cie on watches imported to the US by its US distributor Jules Racine. Attached is a photo of a similar movement I once owned. That watch was an 8 size hunter with a fancy 14k case.