Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Anyone know what this is? Please help "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
A customer is liquidating his collection
and this was in there...he called it a "miners protective case" housing what I think may be an English verge fusee? Watch itself is 12/14S. Customer knows absolutely nothing about it other than that. Silver case mvmt signed "Thomas Evans---Lampeter" pretty neat setup the entire watch bow and all fit up in the miner's? protective case.
It has obviously done it's job as the watch inside is in excellent condition and runs altho dont know how long.
It'll be for sale once I figure out what it is...
Any ideas? I lost pics of hallmarks but it's definitely English and maybe 1850-1870 era?
Any help appreciated

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
brass pair case - very odd style

based on the 2 - if that is 2 ounces, I would not doubt the miner connection, that would be a very sturdy case, most pair cases were not that heavy.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Miners Case Search

Tom, what are you using that enables you to put all of those photos in one post?

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
He's just using externally hosted images. When you do that, you can put as many images as you want wherever you want using html commands. It's not recommended for long-term posts, as externally hosted images tend to go away.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Thanks Ed, I tried it a few times with Picassa but it just made me tired.

I can put them side by side from iPhoto then take a screen shot , adjust size and post. Works for me.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Hi Tom

A very nice watch with some history.

The watch is british ,no verge, no fusee!
Is has the english lever escapement (two banking pins).
To obtain the british counter clockwise winding it has reversing wheels under the dial (note the small distance from winding square to mainspring barrel radius). I think this watch was made ca 1880 and could been manufactured by William Ehrhardt (English Watch Company) Birmingham.(the casemarks would help a lot). The watchmakers name on the watch is the name of the finisher or trader of the watch.

Lampeter is a small town in Wales. I could not find a Thomas Evans as a watchmaker but some T J? F? Evans pocket watches and there was a Thomas Evans clockmaker in a small village nearby.

The outer case is a protective case and i think the watch was owned by a welsh coal miner. The protective case shows at least two watchpapers, the blue and visible one reads:

W(illiam) Woolsey ; Watchmaker Jeweller & ??; 13 Market St(reet); Gainsboro

He was ancestor to our member John Woolsey and took care of this watch long time ago !
That's why i like this hobby: watches tell stories don't they ?

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
Thank you, Gerald! Here are the case marks if that tells you anything please post

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
This set of three marks are

sterling silver (lion) Birmingham (anchor) 1892 (date letter 's')
My first guess on this watch was not too bad spotting the location and missing just 12 years by looking on a fullplate back Smile

The inner side of the case should have the full set of four marks includung the casemakers mark.

Regards
Gerald

IHC Member 1338
posted
Gerald; It does, but I sent it up to my watchmaker to check. I'll post the other set when I get it back. So it may be an Erhardt?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Picture of David Flegel
posted
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...043991677#8043991677

Have the same piece. It is a miner's case or a case for anyone working in dusty environment where the watch might get banged around.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 06, 2012
posted
Tom

Ehrhardt is the closest match with the given characteristics of the movement but to be sure a picture of the faceplate should be taken. I am sure there are some marks on the movement to find out the maker.

Regards
Gerald

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
There was a Thomas Evans born about 1845 in Wales. In the 1911 census he is listed as living in Lampeter, Cardiganshire, Wales. In the census he is listed as a "watchmaker (dealer".

He is also listed in 1881 same city as a "watchmaker".

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thank you Tom

While the census records are in English other sources mix english ane welsh names (Lampeter =Llambed or Llanbedr)

Regards
Gerald

btw: Has someone informations about John Woolsey?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I use to stay in touch with John, but a about a year ago my emails go unanswered, I miss talking with him!

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Page 447 of the 2013 fat book shows this balance cock design as: "1810-1865 'look' (outline design)for barrel bridge (type movement)" . . . A description that corresponds with some of the other replies in this posting.

Judging from the brass case marked "2", this could have been a "Watch Man's" timepiece to be carried (with the protective brass case) while "ON THE JOB".

Interesting note, as men were assigned to keep "watch" all the way back to cave housed groups and much later began to carry time pieces to signal the time when "all is well". . .

Would it be correct to presume that is where our name "watch" came from.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Gerald

Just got a note from John!

posted
Tom

I hope it's good news.

Gerald

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Gerald
I don't see an email listed for you, if you want to drop me a line my address is listed.

Tom