Tools
Reply to Post

Barrel bridges on the Ball 13,000 & 14,000 runs "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Does anyone have an explanation why in the 13,000 and the 14,000 runs of Ball watches you will see both Hamilton barrel bridges like this one for 13337 and rounded Ball barrel bridges like the one on 14961

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I have seen many variations in both serial number runs.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very interesting subject Larry,

When we compare some of the early ones in our Early Ball-Hamilton 18-size images it looks like the earliest of all Ball-Hamilton movements number 601 has the squared corner as does your 8718 but 13050 has the rounded corner. Then 14927 has the squared corner again along with 20577 and 20843 but by 28755 the rounded design returns to stay all through to the end of 18-size production.

That is further confirmed by all those pictured in our Later Ball-Hamilton 18-size Images right up through and including number 923040 in my collection which is from the final 18-size Ball-Hamilton run. Perhaps it took a while to settle on design continuity or at times they just used what was readily available. Yet another question we will probably will never be able to answer with any degree of certainty.

Part of what makes this hobby so fascinating, my friend.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is another Hamilton Square barrel bridge off of movement 14965

posted
Larry,
Deja Vu all over again!!

Thanks for bringing this back up. I had a nagging feeling that I had heard this story before but couldn't recall where.

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Thank you Bill