WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Open to the World RESEARCH FORUMS  Hop To Forums  Ball Watch Company Research Forum    Family Heirloom... for three generations Ball 999B 16s 21Jewel RR Standard
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Family Heirloom... for three generations Ball 999B 16s 21Jewel RR Standard "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am the last son on this perticular line of the Phillips name. This watch was given to my father from his father and after my father's passing I have now inherited it. Thanks to this website I know now a lot more about this wonderful watch. It is a 16S, 21 Jewel, Ball Railroad Standard Pocket Watch with a replacement bow, S/N 1B2048, Case S/N9 240588. On this website I found the immediate predecessor to my watch.. S/N 1B2047 on the Gold Center Wheel Forum. If anyone has any information on where that watch is that would be great. I am very new to this community so any information on this type of watch just '46 watch terminology would be greatly appriciated. Thank you all for clicking and, hopefully, admiring this very personal cherished work of art that I have inherited.

Cherished Heirloom

Posts: 11 | Location: Radcliff, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 28, 2007
posted
the workings...

Posts: 11 | Location: Radcliff, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 28, 2007
posted
the back...

posted
Case S/N....

posted
the heritage of this watch... From left to right, Father, Son, Grandfather...

posted
by the way... any responses to this post..... I am Don. :-)

posted
QUESTION----- how tight do you wind a watch like this????

Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Hi Don:
I love your story on this watch. I like watches with a "known" history. Your watch is a Ball - Hamilton model 999B. The last model of a long line of model 999 watches produced by Hamilton Watch Company for Ball Watch Company of Cleveland. I have collected many watches, but enjoy collecting Ball watches most of all. Take a look at the "Ball" research section of this website and the photo gallery for some really beautiful examples of Ball watches. By the way, wind your watch until it stops. Have it cleaned and oiled before you run it for more than a day at a time. Welcome to IHC!
Joel

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
posted
Thank you Joel. Mr. Riddle put me in contact with a Mr. Samie Smith here in Kentucky. This watch has not been services in many decades. So thank you for your advice. I will be having it seviced here soon.

Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Hello Don

If its watches and information you seek you are at the right spot. Wink

Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
posted
Thank you Gary. I want any type of information on this watch or type of watch... I am the 'mechanical' type of person, and love any information on how it works or history.

posted
Ball did not make watches, they just sold them. They contracted with other companies to make their watches. Your watch was made, adjusted and cased by the Hamilton Watch Co. in Lancaster, PA. Your watch dates near the end of WWII.

In 1941 Hamilton was special because it had created a Hamilton Elinvar Extra hairspring. One of the main problems in keeping good time is changing temperature. Steel mainspring loose some strength as they get warmer and the watch slows down. Before Elinvar they used a compensated balance to attempt to correct for this. This method left a middle temperature error. Elinvar is an alloy that does not lose very much strength with increasing temperature, but the early versions Elinvar hairsprings had other problems such as being very soft. Hamilton's hairspring solved both the temperature and softness problems. This technologly was used in Hamilton watches and in watches made for Ball.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Hello Don,
From research, it appears that Hamilton made at least 27,700 999B's for Ball from 1943-54.

The Ball 999B was essentially a Hamilton 992B with different markings and damaskeening patterns.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
what does damskeening mean?

Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Hi Don:
Damaskeening is the decorative pattern put into the finish of the watch movement plates. The term "damaskeening" comes from Damascus where, I believe, ancient sward makers decorated the blades of their swards with special designs that could be identified to a specific person. Early Hanilton watches, for example, used damaskeen patterns on specific grades or models. Ball watches commonly used a circular pattern on the plates of their movements. There are variations to this on Ball "Brotherhood" watches, those made for members of the railroad unions or "brotherhoods." Even the 999B has some variations in damaskeen patterns. Please refer to Fred E. Hansen's "Ball 999B Gold Center Wheel or No Gold Center Wheel," and notice pictures late in the thread Pg. 2, Larry K. Burwell's post, "Unusual Hamilton - Ball 999B Movement."

Joel

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Don,
Below is 2 examples of the different damaskeening patterns used on the Ball 999B. The straight pattern is of course on the later model.

Robert

"Courtesy of Larry Burwell"

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Donald,
Welcome to IHC Chapter 185!

I just love your watch!

I have been at this for about 6 years now, and I still don't have a Ball yet, so I'm not much on helping with information, but I sure can appreciate a fine looking watch, and say thank you for sharing your Family Gem with us!

PS I also love family photos like this one, it's so wonderful to see Family generations together in a photo today, they have become rare too!

Thanks again for sharing your treasures with us.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Don,
Great watch and great story! Looking at the watch I'm pretty certain it has an issue with the hairspring. The coils do not appear to be concentric with the balance jewel. The good news is that these 999s practically repair themselves. All the parts you may ever need are
still easy to find. Let me know if you run into trouble with parts.

The photo of you with you with your Dad and G.Dad is pretty wonderful. You're a lucky guy and they were too. Congrats
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Hi Don,

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful piece of family history...great pictures, great watch.

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Donald great looking watch and with a great history .
thanks for sharing it. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004