Tools
Reply to Post

999B Numbers Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
hi can someone tell what years my 999B watches are. they are numbers:
1B16596
1B8084
and how many years were the 999B's made?
thanks james

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Jim,

About this time last year I put together a short 999B evolutionary history, it is in this forum...

Ball Hamilton 999B Models, 21and 23jewel? - Short 999B History and More!

There you will find the first 999B watches were built in 1943 and they continued in production until phased out in the mid-1950s during which time there were variations which add to collector interest. Interesting subject.

Production years on your 999B examples are here in the Hamilton Serial Number Listings Preserved by John F. Gelson On our scanned and re-numbered page 21 you will find 1B16596 in the 1950 listings and that 1B8084 is from 1947 production.

These are among the best running, easiest to service pocket watches ever made, they share engineering excellence with the 992B and all that are derived from it. One of our top watchmakers once told me that the 992B series is so good you can take three running 992B movements, disassemble them, mix up the parts and assemble three running watches.

Prior to 992B development all jeweled watches were fit together by hand, each part numbered because there were differences which kept those movements from being fully interchangeable. All the watches derived from 992B which includes every 999B have fully interchangeable parts. The only number is on the pillar plate and is used for identification.

Hope you find this and the linked information helpful.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
thank you Lindell, some times need a little help. i can all ways count on you my friend.
james

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008