Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Up Close & Personal "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Just recently, I was able to view an exquisite and extraordinary pocket watch up close and personal along with having the pleasure and thrill of holding in the palm of my hand, a pocket watch once owned by Clark Gable! How exciting is that! How did this come to pass?

A Cartier pocket watch once owned by Clark Gable among a host of other museum quality jewelry owned by various celebrities was on display in a fine jewelry store in my area thanks to the traveling Kazanjian Foundation Collection tour. The purpose of the tour is to raise awareness of the Foundation to encourage donations of estate jewelry from celebrities and the public as well,all proceeds to support many charitable causes and charity organizations. All items except for two (one of which is Clark Gable's pocket watch) were for sale.

Joan Spreckels, step daughter of Clark Gable, donated Mr. Gable's beautiful pocket watch given to him by Marion Davies. On the back of the case is an inscription - "To Clark, remember me? I'm Marion".

The Cartier watch is housed in a platinum case, platinum dial, Arabic numbers, subsidiary dial, stem wind and set, 18 jewels, 12 size, movement # 11116. The bezel contains 39 full cut round diamonds for a total weight of approximately 2.78ct, F-G/VS quality good cuts, and 32 baguette cut sapphires, 1.50 ct.

The watch appraised for $10,000 and recently sold for $25,000. The watch is on loan and is currently on tour nationally in fine jewelry stores, art galleries and other appropriate venues.

Don't miss the opportunity to look at, and even touch, an exquisite pocket watch Mr. Clark Gable once owned if the tour comes to your area!

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
....wonder if it comes to god old Sweden Wink

Bernhard "the swede"

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
Bernhard,

You may want to email them and ask if their celebrity jewelry tour will be coming to your area. They toured Naples at one point so your area may not be out of the question.

Here'e their email address: mjk@raregems.net I had the opportunity of personally meeting and speaking with Douglas Kazanjian, son of owner and president, Michael Kazanjian, of Kazanjian Bros.Jewelers while in New Orleans area. They are located in Beverly Hills, California.

I may contact Douglas and ask if he has a touring schedule. I can then post to this thread.

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
I asked Douglas if he would send a picture of Clark Gable's pocket watch so we may be able to view it. Today Doug was kind enough to send a picture of Mr. Gable's Cartier pocket watch. I also asked Doug if he would send a picture of the movement as well as the back of the case so all can enjoy seeing the inscription. He said he would and those pictures should be forthcoming as well in the next few days. Stay tuned! I can't wait to see the movement as I did not have that pleasure the day I viewed and held the watch.

Thanks to Phil Dellinger, as he re-sized the picture for us!

Take a look! Hope everyone enjoys as much as I did. It's not "up close and personal" but the next best thing.

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Marion Davies gave this beautiful Cartier platinum diamond and sapphire pocket watch to Clark Gable. The inscription reads, "To Clark, Remember me? Love Marion".

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Here is info on Marion Davies.

I would rather see Clark Gable's Duesenberg SSJ, than his watch! Cool

Andy

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.
The Internet Horology Chapter 185 *****-ihc.org

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
I wish I could take credit for the picture of Mr. Gable's pocket watch, but I can't. The staff photographer for the Foundation was gracious enough to forward this picture per my request. Our own, Phil Dellinger, re-sized the picture per my request. We will have the opportunity to view as well as discuss Mr. Gable's Cartier pocket watch movement in this thread shortly. Stay tuned! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Andy,
Thanks for the live link has to who Marion Davies is. I will read it shortly!

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
***** Member 143979

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Clark Gable had expensive tastes. He was driving this 1936 Duesenberg SSJ when many of the people in the US couldn't even afford gas. This car compares to a Ford or Chevy about like his Cartier watch compares to a Timex.

Andy

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.
The Internet Horology Chapter 185 nawcc-ihc.org

1936 Duesenberg SSJ owned by Clark Gable

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Andy,

Thanks for showing Clark Gable's car. Sure is a Deuse! Big Grin

I received a movement picture of Mr. Gable's Cartier watch several days ago. Unfortunately the picture is too large to upload to our site. Frown If anyone would care to re-size, drop me an email and I'll send the picture to you for re-sizing. A beautiful movement indeed! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Alas, Clark Gable's Cartier pocket watch movement pic is in the H O U S E ! Thanks Tom Seymour for making this happen! Hope your efforts as well as others (Phil Dellinger, Carlos Flores, & Jim Cope)were worth it, I think so.

Take a look! Would anyone like to comment on the movement?

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
If anyone is interested in viewing other celebrity jewelry, (includes Clark Gable's two wristwatches) go to:

http://kazanjianfoundation.org/cgi-bin/kazanjianfound/celebrityjewelry.html

Follow the instructions to take the Kazanjian Foundation Celebrity Jewelry tour. Thanks go out to Douglas Kazanjian who made Mr. Gable's watch assessible for us to view!

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks for the link to the site. The wrist watches weren't too shabby either. But the pocket watch is a real gem.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom S.,
Glad you enjoyed! A thank you goes out to Kevin West as he also offered his help in re-sizing the movement. Thanks Kevin!

Stephanie O'Neil
Pocket Watch Moderator
NAWCC Member 143979

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Stephanie,

Great thread you started here. This is a picture of Ms Davies taken in 1933.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Marion Davies sure knew how to get a man's attention!

And... she looks good even by today's standards.

I just realized, that's 71 years ago!

Great topic Stephanie.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Doesn't she look like she stepped right out of one of the old movies on "working girls" and how they got--or "stole"--their man?

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
posted
John D.,
Thanks for posting a pix of Marion Davies as well as your compliment regarding the thread. A pix of Marion definitely adds character to this thread! I hope others enjoyed as well! Was an exciting day for me the day I held Clark Gable's pocket watch! Cool Roll Eyes Glad you enjoyed the thread!

Stephanie O'Neil

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I don't know how I missed this thread before, but I'm glad I found it. Clark Gable's watch is a real beauty! One thing I noticed about it are the rich blue sapphire train jewels. These are quite uncommon (and were a noted feature of the limited-production Edward Howard watch).

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
hi stephanie !
i recently sold a similar watch !

Posts: 109 | Location: Brookpark, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 06, 2005
posted
pic 2

i might add i sold mine for a meager 1,700.00
wished i had a 25k interested party !

Posts: 109 | Location: Brookpark, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 06, 2005