Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What kind of dial? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I just picked up this Waltham mdl 1888 with this different dial. I have seen photo's of other dials like it and I know it has a name. Can anyone help me with the name?
Thanks

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Moorehouse!

I might have spelled it wrong.

Nice dial!

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Bill,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

posted
Edward,
You are welcome, I am sure others would have answered as soon as they noticed.

BTW, use the search function to see more of them like this one,

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6047761/m/4716074091

Even better link is

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...006053562#1006053562

I expect to find these on Howards, but i guess they occasionaly show up on Walthams also.

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Here's another Moorhouse (attached to an E. Howard Series VIII) that sold recently for about $1650.00! I thought it kind of unusual to see all the typical fluorishes but the E. Howard was very plain.

E. Howard w/Moorhouse dial

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Bill,
I did a search and read the comments about the Moorhouse dials. Without a signature, anyone's guess! It is estimated he only signed 400-500, but I believe that would be Howards. Also he was working for Howard when this watch was made (1891).
It cleaned up nice any way.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I don't know hardly anything about Morrehouse dials, I was under the impression that he always had the little berries painted somewhere on the dial.

Any chance of seeing if the dial is signed on the back?

Just trying to learn.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom,
The dial is not signed. Most of the fancy dials had the little (mulberries).

posted
Edward,

It might be more accurate to describe the dial as moorehouse style. I have a Hampden Ball that is similar without signature.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it also meant that you could avoid royalties on patented designs if you altered them a bit.

happy hunting,