Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Heresy "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1063
posted
I hate to admit it, but I actually like the infamous Waltham 25 and actually carry it from time to time. How offended are the Waltham fundamentalists in this group and will my membership be revoked for making this admission?

Dana

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Even if they don't like it, I think they'll get over it!

We try to maintain a friendly and collegial atmosphere at IHC185, free of personal attacks and divisiveness.

So even if we disagree, we can do so in a polite & respectful manner.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Dana, The members here that are partial to Waltham(both of them) would probably just be amused that you have tagged them fundamentalists. Big Grin

Shoot there are members here that even like Swiss. Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 1063
posted
As long as I know there's only (2) of them, I won't be worried about a jihad. I'm glad they didn't make (I hope) a Hamilton 25.

Dana

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I don't even know what a Waltham 25 is, if it is a watch & ticks then I would like it.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1063
posted
It's a reviled 16S with a 17 + 8 jewel Swiss movement and Montgomery dial. It's been known to literally burn the hands of Waltham collectors if touched.

Dana

posted
Hi Dana -

How about posting a picture?

Eric

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1063
posted
I would have posted pictures, but my digital camera is on loan to someone else. It's actually a pretty photogenic watch, if you're not too disturbed by the movement.

Dana

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
So long as It does not need a Battery. Cool

As the American Watch industry was ground to ashes by "foreign competition", some actual Imported movements were sold by the American Brand name watch companies(the latest dumbspeak for that is "outsourcing").

Sadly . . . and alas . . . in the past 20 years while selling out the respectability of our public facilities which are re-named after Beer Brewers, soda pop and cell phone companies instead of famous sports people, so we have given up many of the (used to be) "Made in America" brand names to be prostituted by "offshore" owners (look at Ball Watches! Eek) who lead the unwary into their clutches to sell them overpriced junk that is "made in switzerland" (the label that says that maybe . . . ) and produced in some slave economy God knows where!?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I almost bought a Waltham 25 once. It was a nice looking pocket watch.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Member 1063
posted
I'll try and get my hands on another camera and put up some pictures. Aesthetically, it's not objectionable, in my opinion.

Dana

IHC Member 1110
posted
Dana, I've seen some of those 25J Swiss walthams go for ridiculous money on Ebay.I don't think anyone on here would look down on you for owning one...how about those Swiss made imitation Hamilton-named imitation RR watches that sell for crazy money.They are made to look like a 992B at first glance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
I also have seen those watches go for large amounts of money on Ebay. I wonder if the folks really know what they are bidding on. I see them listed as RR watches sometimes.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
They "take a licking and keep on ticking" Big Grin

Unless they stop. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 1063
posted
I think I paid $75.00 for it a few years ago (before I knew any better) but I have to say it's very accurate and has survived a number of drops and jolts that would have been deal breakers for some of my older (better) watches.

Dana