• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois dial question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently acquired a 16s Bunn Special- 60 hour. It was advertised as all-origional; however when it came today, the dial is definatley metal.

I can not find any research indicating when/if metal dials were utilized. I would think a double sunk porc. dial would have been appropriate for the movement.

Any thoughts??

THANKS!!

Posts: 47 | Location: Hamlin, New York USA | Registered: March 05, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Foster,

Metal dials were available from the Illinois factory both on watches and loose. Many collectors exercise their preference and replace them with porcelain-enamel simply because that's what they like. All that being said, if you can post a picture we can probably determine whether or not your dial is original.

By the way, let us know the specifics of movement and case as well. Smile

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Foster,
Example of Illinois dials avalible for the various 16 size Illinois.. silver finish would be metal..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Here is an apparently original metal dial that sold on a 21-Jewel Bunn Special in a recent Chapter 185 On-Site Auction. (Image courtesy of David Rudary)

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Perfect example- saves me from having to take pictures. Mine is the same as your pic. It is a 60 hour movement- #4996715 housed in a yellow gold-filled "first model" bunn special wadsworth case.

It could use a good cleaning, but the movement does appear to be origional to the case.

Thanks again for all of your help!! I think $300 was a great investment for this one.

Posts: 47 | Location: Hamlin, New York USA | Registered: March 05, 2007