Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18s Rockford Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have a 18s Rockford that is in the first tear of production according to my information s/n 7280. It is a transitional movement with a key wind on the back and a stem wind at the 3 o'clock position. It has a peg that fits my open face key wind cases and the rear key wind mechanism lines up with the hole in all my open face key wind cases. The dial lines up at 12 o'clock. If I line up the stem wind at 3 0'clock then I would need a hunter style case and I would not use the key wind case. Everything makes since up to now.

I have included three pictures. There is a small lever at about the 5 o'clock position. This tiny lever is for setting the time. None of my cases have a cut out for that. Do they make cases for these types of setting mechanisms or do I have to alter on of my open face cases? If I try to put it into a hunting case then I would have to file down the peg and then the setting lever does not match any of the cut outs on my hunting cases. I do not have any hunting cases for key wind movements but I don't need it if I use the stem wind mechanism. Anyone run across this problem before?

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Plate

IHC Member 1610
posted
Rear

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Start slow in deciding what to do here. You have a very, very nice 1877 first production Rockford. these were all virtually hand-finished. More after I can research it some.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
After talking with friend in Calif. over the phone he stated back when this watch was fitted to a case the jeweler/watchmaker would cut a slot into the case so that a movement like this would fit it and work properly. He suggested I would probably have to do the same as he doubted that I would find a case that would have the slot cut in the proper place already.