Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Newbie help "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1511
posted
Guys: An old gentleman gave me an 18 size Illinois watch that needed to be fixed. I took the watch to a local jeweler to see what it needed. Two years and four months later I got the watch back. The second hand is missing plus quite a few screws in the movement are gone also. The serial number is #243357 from 1878-79 period. I believe it is a transition model SW or KW lever set. Is this watch worth getting fixed or should I just move on? Thanks Gary

Posts: 159 | Location: Rainelle, West Virginia in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Could you post some pictures Gary? That would make it a lot easier for us to see what you're dealing with.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1511
posted
Ed, I am new to watch collecting and newer to posting pictures. I will have to learn how first. Thanks

Posts: 159 | Location: Rainelle, West Virginia in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2010
IHC Member 1508
posted
Sounds to me like the village blacksmith you took it to used your watch for parts. Mad Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Gary, Here is the info on your watch.

Serial Number SN Range RunQty Name Year grade size code jewels Adj/reg/etc.
-------------- -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
243357 242461 2540 GMW 1874 57* 18s hfg1ks 11-13j
*** dial probably should be marked "National Watch Co" not "Elgin Nat'l Watch Co" ***

grade total runs first yr last yr class size code jewels Adj/name
----- ----- ----- -------- ------- ----- ---- ------ ------ ----------
57 75146 87-1 1867 1876 4 18s hfg1ks 11-13j GMW ADV - CAL

(*) notes on grade 57: Marked: GMW, ADV, None or CAL.
slow train (4.5 bps)

It's to bad you let him have it that long. Do you remember if those parts were missing when you gave the watch to him? It's to late now anwway I guess.

We have some real Elgin experts here who can answer your questions on if it would be worth keeping. I Just hate to see ANY watch fall by the wayside. Maybe we can get some of the screws for you if we knew what they were.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Gary, Below is a picture of a similar Illinois movement to yours. Please try to describe what is missing on yours compared to the picture.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1511
posted
David: That is the same movement. One case screw is missing and the two screws that hold the jewel in the regulator arm. The dial is loose so if there are screws that hold the dial in place they are not there. The second hand is missing also. The case is good condition as is the crystal. The guy that gave me this watch had cancer and knew he was going to die. He repaired watches and this one was to be his next project but he knew that he could not get it done, so he gave it to me. Thanks Gary

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Gary, Those are not essential parts. If the Balance wheel is there, and if the Hairspring looks OK, chances are the rest of it is restorable. I will be glad to review it and see if it can be restored. If you want to do that contact me at; david@glopar.com

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007