Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unusual Charles V. Woerd's 18k Pocket Watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It was another attempt to compensate "mid-range temperature error" which it did not. With a serrated Balance wheel they are impossible to adjust but with the "normal" balance wheel, they are reported to run pretty well.

Finally, the use of nearly "0 coefficient of expansion" (el)Invar developed originally for glass to metal sealing Vacuum Radio Tube base Pins "won the day" for minimizing temperature error . . . with 0 temp coefficient, compensation was not an issue.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I can see how the temperature-stable Invar alloy simplified things, but I'm still not getting the serrated thing.

Unless it's got to do with wind-resistance(Smile), I'm not sure how a bi-metallic unserrated wheel would differ from a serrated one.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Maybe his patent will answer the questions;

http://www.google.com/patents?...#v=onepage&q&f=false

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks Tom, that bit of detail clears up some things for me anyway....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Hi Sean;

Would you be interested in selling that watch, in a running condition, with that case?

If so, then I'd like to hear from you.

Bud

quote:
Here is another view showing the "Sparkle of the plates"

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
posted
Thanks, Tom. I didn't realize the serrations were on the mating surfaces. How the %#&@ would you machine such a thing anyway?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008