Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Matching" Case Numbers "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Let's discuss "Matching" Case Numbers...

One of the more interesting questions we received recently in an eMail involved exactly what is meant by the term "matching numbers" on a watch case. I felt this was worthy of exploration.

Some time back I used the image you'll see below. In it the "matching numbers" are shown on one particular case. On that example the inside of the case-back is stamped with the complete number. With the merged image you see the inside case-back on top, the frame is at lower-left and inside the bezel at lower-right.

On the frame and bezel the final five digits appear in the representation shown. Sometimes these may be as few as three digits, or they may be preceded by an alphabetic letter. On still other cases the references inside the bezel and on the frame will very commonly be expressed in hand-scratched roman numerals.

This was intended simply as a way to keep all the properly fit pieces and parts together during the manufacturing process. Some cases we find will have very close numbers, or just one digit will differ on them. Many cases probably started out without exact matching numbers, in those instances they will be a close match.

Non-matching numbers may have innocently occurred at the case makers, the watch factory or the retail jeweler. One I recall as having a "re-struck" case number, that in all likelihood took place at the factory. In the situation of only one digit being different or being a fairly close match and the case fitting properly I would tend to accept it.

However, today we see cases that have been literally "put together" from left-overs in an attempt to sell them off, those are something we would probably be wise to avoid. A mis-match can also happen when a cases are repaired by the use of non-matching components. Each situation we find must be evaluated on its individual merits.

For all these reasons and more a correctly "matching numbers" case is worthy of mention and something we should be looking for whenever practical. Perhaps others can share descriptions or images of different style markings, maybe even a "horror-story" or two of what has turned up in the marketplace of trading and collecting.

Matching numbers on all three components...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell, great subject, and I was going to post this as a question anyway. Bought this 1923 Bunn Special (21j) about 4 weeks ago; the dealer and I both thought the case ought to be a marked Bunn case, but looking through the Illinois research area, I see mine is too early for that. The case looks original (no extra screw marks, normal wear), but the case nos. don't quite match. The bezel and frame have 33712, while the back cover has the complete sn of 33743. As everything matches, I figure most likely a factory situation.

Hope the pics make it clear.

Norman

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very interesting Norman,

I have "close matches" such as yours in my collection as well. Like I said above my tendancy is to accept a close match particularly when they fit well and appear to have the same overall appearance.

There is much we will never completely understand about these fascinating items. And let's face it, we obsess over things that way back when would have been of no consequence.

Anyone else checking their numbers?

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
I think everyone would agree that having all the case numbers match is the best way to go with cases. Smile

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003