Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Most popular 16s RR watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
Anyone know or care to guess which 16s RR grade was probably the most popular in use in the U.S. ?I Think it would be the Hamilton 992 or 992B.Both were made for a real long time and must have sold in huge numbers.Same with the Elgin B.W. Raymond and Waltham Vanguard.This may be a dumb question, probably has been asked before, but should stir up a lot of opinions...Thanks!, Ted Brown.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ted

I agree with you, I think it would be the 992B & the BWR. They are not my favorites but I would guess those two sold the most.

I am not saying anything is wrong with any of them, I just like Illinois for some reason.

That is my guess.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I would agree with both of you in that the 992B & B.W. Raymond would be the most used by RR men with the Raymond probably being the one most used....

If you ask 10 people their favorite watch, you will probably get 10 different answers....

I personally do not have a 'Favorite' type watch, but if I had to pick one over the other....well I don't know that I could, off handed....That would be a tough decision....

How's that for straddling the fence.... Wink

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great topic Ted,

You will get different answers due to brand loyalty each of us have today and of course as we look back popularity changed over the years. The most popular would probably be the highest production but overall most popular would consider then and now.

There were 525,000 of the Hamilton 992B produced between 1940 and 1970 which means it was very popular. Additionally there were the 950B, the 4992B, 3992B and 2974B derived from it, in the 992B Hamilton introduced the right watch at the right time.

Looking at Illinois their Bunns and Bunn Specials were popular at the time they were made and now. There was a time when Hampden watches were very popular, that changed when Hamilton came along but looking at earlier watches Waltham and Elgin come to mind.

Fascinating subject, let's hear more thoughts and opinions!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
I'm going out on a limb and take a guess at the most popular was the 992-B.

Yes indeed my favorite is a 992-B in a model 11 case.

That aside I can say from experience the watch I saw used most often on the 3 railroads I worked on, the C&NW, The Milwaukee Road, and The South Shore Line, was a Hamilton 992-B. They outdistanced Ball and Accutron wrist watches in an era when wrist watches were very much in vogue.

Posts: 464 | Location: Northern Indiana in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
If you go strictly by production numbers, Lin and Mitch would be correct....

525,000 Hamilton 992B's vs Elgin 571's from 1946 thru 1954 @ only 171,000....No contest

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I know I asked this before, but of that 500,000 give or take number of 992B's, does that also include 3992B and 4992B production? If not, definitely no contest. If so, that number is kind of padded by war time nagivator watch numbers rather than just railroad watch production numbers. Hamilton got the primary WW2 government contract, so those numbers went through the roof.

Either way, the 992B in ANY configuration seems to be the odds on favorite. I carry a 4992B conversion myself these days.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Mark,

Like I said above...

"There were 525,000 of the Hamilton 992B produced between 1940 and 1970 which means it was very popular. Additionally there were the 950B, the 4992B, 3992B and 2974B derived from it, in the 992B Hamilton introduced the right watch at the right time."

So that more than 525,000 is just the 992B production and they made as many of the 4992B as Elgin made of their 571 and that does not begin to count the other offshoots from the 992B design. Adding up all the mileage they got out of the 992B is a big number.

Have a great weekend,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
The most popular 21j 16s RR grade was undoubtedly the 16s Hampden New Railway. The 23j Hampden model 104/Special Railway would make it even more overwhelming. As we all know Hamilton stole the Hampden New Railway movements and falsely labeled them 992B. In fact the Hampden people were forced out of business and sold to the Godless communists in Russia because of the theft of about 900,000 Hampden movements that were then labeled 992B and 950B. Now that that ismettled Would any members be interested is an IHC 185 Hampden chapter. Dave Abbe and I will join and Dave was not anesthetized when he said it!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Right on, Deacon! Hampden nuts have to stick together,I would join too. Thanks.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Thanks for understanding my offbeat humour Ted. I am serious about starting a Hampden group and have no idea where to go. I have long collected but was never a member of any club or association and now that I am I would not mind getting a Hampden group going.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
It would be a great thing.Hampdens in my opinion still get dumped on by the watch collecting world.But I also think that more and more people are starting to see the light.So, to add to the Hampden list, how about the 19J Railway and 21J No. 105...2 more of their most popular 16 sizes.I also think that the sale of Hampden to the Russians,and the loss of the whole US watchmaking industry was a national tragedy.We made the best watches the world has ever seen.I don't care what the Rolex or Vacheron & Constantine people think, ours were better made and far more beautiful.Plus most of our watches were priced so working men could afford to buy one that would last forever.

IHC Member 1110
posted
I'm surprised that noboby mentioned the 21 jewel Crescent St. or 645 Walthams....I guess I just did!They too were sold in immense numbers.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
quote:
So that more than 525,000 is just the 992B production and they made as many of the 4992B as Elgin made of their 571 and that does not begin to count the other offshoots from the 992B design.

THAT was the DEFINITE answer I've been seeking since I first asked this question, Lindell. Thank you for finally spelling it out in the clear for me.
Smile

Though the statement "Additionally there were the 950B, the 4992B, 3992B and 2974B derived from it...." may have been clear to you, it was read by me that those 'additional' items were derived from the original 525,000. Glad THAT finally got sorted out in my noggin!!

I wonder what the total TOTAL number was, INCLUDING those derived from the original 992B design?

Like I said above, seems like the clear winner to me, just based on the staggering numbers produced!

I keep one of my two 992B's out for carry at all times with rotation with others of my collection, but my Hamilton's get the most carry time.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002