WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    Puttin 'Em Back Together...One Watch At A Time #2...1st Run "Narrow Stripe" 992E
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Puttin 'Em Back Together...One Watch At A Time #2...1st Run "Narrow Stripe" 992E "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
Here's Watch #2 brought back as close as possible to its original configuration...

Here's Movement #2583165...A fairly scarce "narrow stripe" 992 Elinvar from 1931 out of the first run of these magnificent timepieces.

I actually got the movement from Larry L. and what a beauty it is:

I have had a Hamilton Model 8 White GF Case just waiting for this particular model for several years, and when I found this one I was thrilled!

The Case #645709 specs out to 1931 Production, as does the movement. This Model 8 was the case Hamilton used to introduce the new 992E in:

There was obviously something else in this case at one time, the case screw marks line up with a 992B, which would have been far too late for this 1931 Model 8, maybe a 950 once resided here?

At any rate, case marks or no, this is the correct case for this scarce early 992E, my primary goal being to resurrect these as close as possible to the day they were made, and this serves that purpose well.

Dial is also one I was saving, the HG #519 that was one of the choices for this railroad timekeeper.

So, here's another brought back as close as possible with what I had. What does everyone think?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
What FANTASTIC looking watch Tom!!

Great job!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Very nice, Tom!

Bob

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
posted
Sometimes it takes a great deal of effort to get a watch correct because of all the swapping and such. It is a nice looking watch, being correct wins in my book.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
That's an iconic combination Tom, just stunning!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1338
posted
Thanks, Guys...I already have plans to leave this to my 23 yo nephew, I've taught him a little about these, along with all the paperwork to hopefully give to HIS son, and so on....hopefully this will be enjoyed and studied just like we're doing.

Meanwhile, I'm taking the Elinvar to dinner tonight!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008