• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"half- hunting "cases "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Lately I have noticed on an internet auction site a few hinged bezel and back open-face pocket watch cases being called "half-hunter" or "half-hunting cases". That's a new one on me.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Member 1555
posted
This term has always amused me also William, especially when a lot of the time it is used in reference to American watches. I could be wrong but I always thought that it is originally an English term for the Demi-Hunter cases. These are the ones with the hole on the front cover and numerals applied to the case cover as well and mostly carried hunter configured movements.

For some reason these days it is applied to anything that has lids that open on a hinge, front and back. American case makers used the term "Clam Shell" I think for these hinged open face cases in their advertising, so once again it appears to be another incorrect term adopted by the ill-informed which has gained a substantial footing in certain areas and will be hard to turn around.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1338
posted
Bila; I think they just like the word "hunter" in their description, knowing a hunter of the same watch is usually worth more than it's open face counterpart...OR they have seen the term used so much they just put it in their description too?

I should offer someone who uses this HALF of what the hunter is worth using that half hunter explanation.

After all, if it's only a HALF hunter shouldn't it then be worth only about half the price as a true hunter?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008